3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

strobes

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: strobes

i bet he needs bail money by next week

Old 05-30-2008, 11:36 AM
dreman
Professional

I work construction and installed the Whelen strobes in the four corners. I have to admit, it's been REAL hard to resist the temptation to mess with people on the street, especially the time I pulled up behind a truck and realized it was my wife!

But I've been a good boy and don't use them unless necessary. The only time I've used them outside of work was when I had a flat. I don't need jail time.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:57 PM
mmstar23
Champion

you can use them as hazard lights right? like if your off to the side on the highway with a blown tire or broken down or something...because if i can use them as hazards then i will when im pulled over to the side and stuff

Old 05-30-2008, 03:38 PM
mmstar23
Champion

i drew this up....will this work?
thats a 2 prong switch

[IMG]local://upfiles/82482/83B37185981D4991A840208B491BD59B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2008, 04:35 PM
dreman
Professional

They will draw the attention of police. The time I had them on and was changing a flat, a police car pulled up a few minutes later. He saw I was changing a tire, but I always wondered if he would've said something if I wasn't.

I was also in a terrible place for a flat! I-10 was under construction by another company, and the spot I was able to pull over at was only as wide as the truck, with 70mph traffic a couple of feet away! I put the jack under the truck from behind the truck, and basically changed the tire one nut at a time between cars! When he pulled up, he blocked the right lane so I could change it faster and safer.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:22 AM
daytona1680
Veteran

post up some pics when you have them done. I have blue strobes and red neons on my truck and I love how they look (looks like a police truck). I only use them for shows/ cruise-ins at the local ice cream shopsor drive-in. when im not at a show I have the fuse pulled on them so I cant turn them on if I get the urge, or incase I would happen to bump the switch and not notice it.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:45 AM
outbreak
Rookie

That drawing looks right. EXCEPT, I would put in a fuse between the battery and the switch!

Old 05-31-2008, 03:01 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

ORIGINAL: outbreak

That drawing looks right. EXCEPT, I would put in a fuse between the battery and the switch!
Yea. You always want to install a fuse when adding electrical mods.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 PM
mmstar23
Champion

so a 2 prong switch will work? and just add a fuse on the positive wire in between the battery and the switch?

Old 05-31-2008, 04:34 PM
BFDmegacab

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

you can use them as hazard lights right? like if your off to the side on the highway with a blown tire or broken down or something...because if i can use them as hazards then i will when im pulled over to the side and stuff
The legal answer is no you can't use strobes as hazard lights. The reason Dreman didn't encounter any problems when he was pulled over changing a tire with them on was because 1) he has them installed for construction use, 2) because he was pulled over changing his tire very close to a construction zone/area so therefore the cop that stopped probably assumed that he was a construction worker on that site that got a flat.

The reason that they don't want you using them as hazards is simple, if the government says that you can use strobes, essentially reserved for emergency vehicles, then everyone and their brother would install strobes and claim that they put them on their car for use as hazard lights. The fact of the matter is, you do HAVE hazard lights on your truck from the factory. Use those if you need them. Don't go flipping on strobes (which probably should never be installed in your truck in the first place) while parked on the side of the road to seem like you have some kind of power over other vehicles or authority or anything. Maybe people drive differently where you are but where I am, if people see you on the side of the road with just a factory hazard lights set up on, they will move over as much as possible to keep away from your vehicle.

You seem pretty headstrong on installing these so all I will say is be careful. Should you ever get stopped and a cop notices them, whether that be at a traffic stop, license checkpoint, DUI/DWI checkpoint, you are going to come into some strong questioning. I myself am a firefighter and work with plenty of cops on a daily basis. No cop is going to take it lightly that a younger guy such as yourself decided to install strobes on your truck because they are cool and to use them as supplemental hazard lights. I guess I'll get off my soapbox but if you don't believe me, ask one of your local cops and see what their opinion of it is. Plain and simple, you are liable to be deemed a "whacker" because you have no use for those lights, whether they be for show use or not. Same goes for Daytona1680, hell he even stated that he thinks his truck looks like a police truck. Red and blue on a non emergency vehicle is just stupid and asking for trouble.

Quick Reply: strobes