3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

strobes

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strobes

i got some strobes yesterday, nothing real nice like the 90 watt ones you see from whelen or anything you see in police cars, but some fairly bright LED ones. now theres a little box that controls the speed and pattern of the lights. from the box theres a positive and negative that goes to the battery. and of course wires that come from that, that go to the bulbs (these just plug in so i understand that part) now i also understand the battery wiring. but i have 2 sets, totaling 8 bulbs, 2 control boxes. i want a switch to turn the 2 boxes on and off at the same time. can someone draw me up a quick diagram on paint or something? do i need a 4 prong switch....? or what? please help me out guys

Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Default RE: strobes

no, I think you just splice the positive wires of both boxes together after the switch. make sure your switch can handle the amps for both boxes (should not be a problem at all with LEDs).

BATERY-------SWITCH---====TWO BOXES===Ground

Or if you're good at soldering connect them right at the switch
BATTERY---SWITCH===TWO BOXES===GROUND

Old 05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
BFDmegacab

Just to play devil's advocate, what are these strobes being used for?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 PM
outbreak
Rookie

I would get a DPST (Double PoleSingle Throw) switch. Run the 12v to that, then from the other contacts to each box.

OR, you could get a DPDT switch, use some diodes and if1 box can control all 8 bulbs, depending on the switch position you could select a "slower" or a "faster" flash rate.

Example:

1 box set to fast hooked up to the "up" position

Middle position is "off"

The other box set to slow hooked up to the "down" position

You put the switch "up" and they all flash fast, you put it down, and they flash slow.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with strobes on your vehicle. Depending on what state, if you get caught with them on you will be charged with impersanating a police officer, lose your license, and possible lengthy jail time...

Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 PM
mmstar23
Champion

thanks guys. im gonna go with xfeejayx's route. seems easy enough and works.

strobes are only for show. on road use will get you jail time, and they cant be red or blue. mine are all white and i can use them as long as i dont pull people over or run red lights and that type of stuff (HAHAH)

Old 05-29-2008, 11:52 PM
BFDmegacab

Not to sound rude, but what is the fascination with using hide-a-way strobes/leds for show use? Typically they are used for a purpose such as construction vehicles or emergency vehicles.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 PM
mmstar23
Champion

well im only a kid and ive always wanted strobes so now i felt like putting them in, and honestly i just think they look cool.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:16 AM
BFDmegacab

Alright, seems fair enough I guess. Just be careful and make sure to avoid the urges to turn them on while on the road, either from your own desire or from peer pressure. they may "look cool" but they will get you in a heap of trouble real fast and no cop is going to be cutting you slack if you tell him you have them on your truck because you've always wanted them and thought they would be cool to have on your truck. Strobes aren't really meant to be a play toy, they are viewed as a tool of the job by emergency workers such as myself. Not trying to sound rude on my first few posts, I just felt I should jump in on this topic.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
mmstar23
Champion

no worries dude. this forums pretty opinionated and if you take it personally, maybe you shouldnt be here, so dont worry about giving your opinion man. and ya i know not to use it on the street and all that so im not worried

Quick Reply: strobes