3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Converting to flexfuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 PM
alexRAM1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to flexfuel?

Hey guys i have an 06 1500 and they did not come with "flexfuel". Im wondering howu can convert non flex fuel ram to be able to run e85? is it possible? thanks in advance

Old 05-30-2008, 12:34 AM
FLH77
Default RE: Converting to flexfuel?

You can get an E85 conversion kit. Here's a link to one that was made for Chrysler vehicles...

http://www.greenfuelnow.com/shop.htm

Old 05-30-2008, 02:29 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

E85 is a gimmick, sure it'sa lot cheaper then gas but you also burn through it twice as fast. To each his own I guess..

Old 05-30-2008, 03:07 AM
FREEZ1099
Amateur

the local news ran an article on how it will eat up some rubber parts and leak.
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pa...;pageId=10.3.1

Old 05-30-2008, 07:17 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E85 is a hoax. It costs WAY too much to make and to use. Far less energy than gasoline, so your fuel cost/mile will probably go up, not down.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:39 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Agreed, definately will not decrease you fuel costs by using E85, but calling it a hoax or a gimmick isn't exactly justified.

The purpose of E85 is not to decrease your fuel cost, but to "help the environment." The thought behind E85 is that by burning ethanol, the carbon emissions you are releasing into the environment are the same ones that the plants soaked in a year or two ago, so it's a fuel that can be replenished and the carbon cycle is more or less complete.

If you were to burn just gasoline, you would be releasing the carbon that the oil sucked in thousands or millions of years ago, and we are burnign it far far faster than the earth can suck it up and make more oil with it. We are releasing millions of years of carbon emissions into the environment over the period of decades.

so if you wanna be green, E85 conversion, but it will likely cost you more, but maybe it will help you sleep at night.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Hemichief
Veteran

I agree - the purpose of E85 is not to get better MPG but it is a way to help the environment. You do actually get lower MPG by using E85, but your should see an improvement in HP since it is a better combusting fuel.

The leaks that are talked about is because E85 is considerably more corrosive than normal gasoline. That is why the kits come into play. The kits are specially designed to withstand the the corrosive nature of the E85 mix.

Aside from my truck I own an 06 Explorer 4.0l with the Flex fuel capability. It is absolutely true that I see about a 30% decrease in MPG when I change between 87 unleaded and E85. However to me, the E85 is worth it just simply because of the decrease in the carbon footprint.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Hemichief

I agree - the purpose of E85 is not to get better MPG but it is a way to help the environment. You do actually get lower MPG by using E85, but your should see an improvement in HP since it is a better combusting fuel.

The leaks that are talked about is because E85 is considerably more corrosive than normal gasoline. That is why the kits come into play. The kits are specially designed to withstand the the corrosive nature of the E85 mix.

Aside from my truck I own an 06 Explorer 4.0l with the Flex fuel capability. It is absolutely true that I see about a 30% decrease in MPG when I change between 87 unleaded and E85. However to me, the E85 is worth it just simply because of the decrease in the carbon footprint.
e-85 Might reduce the carbon foot print, but its killing the Gulf Of Mexico. There is a 7,500 square mile "Dead Zone" In the Gulf that can be indirectly atributed to Ethanol production. Corn, the number one grain in ethanol production, needs lots of nitrates in the soil to grow well. Farmers are getting Government subsidys to grow corn for ethanol production, so instead of using proper crop rotation to keep soil healthy, farmers are dumping more and more nitrate fertilizers on the same land to keep corn growing year after year. These Nitrates then get washed into streams and creeks through normal run off. they then wash into bigger feeder rivers and eventually into the Mississippi river, then get dumped into the Gulf. Anyone with a basic chemestry class in school knows that nitrates or nitrogen will displace oxygen, no oxygen, no life. The plankton, fish, mollusks, sea weed and shell fish all suffocate in the dead zone. Here in Louisiana we are doingour best to filter these nitrates out through restoration of wet lands, which make natural filters, however, the dead zone continues to grow.
Which will kill you first? carbon or the extinction of life in the oceans? If you sleep better burning E-85, go for it and feel good about yourself. But remember this, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._deadzone.html

Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i'm with horseapples, hence the quotes around the "help the environment". in addition to his reasons, food used for fuel is taking away fom the food the world uses for food. that and the fact that there is no way we could make enough corn to haev all of our cars burn ethanol makes ethanol a no-no for me.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: xfeejayx

i'm with horseapples, hence the quotes around the "help the environment". in addition to his reasons, food used for fuel is taking away fom the food the world uses for food. that and the fact that there is no way we could make enough corn to haev all of our cars burn ethanol makes ethanol a no-no for me.
as you said on the food issue, when the government pays farmers to grow corn for fuel exclusively, the price of everything goes up. Corn is probubly the number one additive to processed foods. Look at dog/cat food, the main ingrediant is corn. Along with livestock foods, most processed foods we eat are corn flour or corn meal dependant, therefore when the price of corn goes up, so does everything else we use, from beef to breakfast cereal. To me, E-85 is a no win situation any way you look at it

Quick Reply: Converting to flexfuel?