3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problem with In Dash Screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with In Dash Screen

Alright, I got a flip out screen installed last week, a clarion 785bt. He had hell getting it to work, not knowing about the accessory switch and everything and ended up getting that expensive module. Well he didnt hook up the parking brake ground wire and of course wont answer my calls. I went and bought a switch from autozone and am trying to hook it up, but when i hook it to the ground wire and turn the switch on it still says "audio only". Any suggestions? PS, my truck is apart now so i need quickies!

Old 05-31-2008, 03:43 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Problem with In Dash Screen

Does it work properly without the switch? Just connecting that wire directly to ground should give you video. If it does, either you got the switch wiring wrong or the switch is bad.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Matt99
Champion

Im pretty sure it has to be connected to a ground with power, ill try hooking it up to the main ground maybe.
I got it working, but EVERY time i turn my truck on I have to unhook the ground and then rehook it for the video to show, if i dont it says "audio only" and only plays the music. Flipping the switch doesnt reset the ground, so having a switch really doesnt hellp me.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:50 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

all i had to do for mine was splice it into the ground and it worked fine

Old 06-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Matt99
Champion

Well, I tried splicing it into my cigarette lighter ground, with no avail. I have to reset the ground EVERY time for some reason, but it works fine after that... ill attach a pic of how I did it, see where I went wrong (i didnt draw the wiring harness, the green wire coming out of the radio is the parking brake ground)...or not, it wont let me uplaod a bitmap

Old 06-01-2008, 04:54 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

with mine it was ground the parking break wire, and then after that i put in a dvd pushed like stop twice and then i had to type in a code but that was a jenson

Old 06-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Matt99
Champion

hmm well its really pissing me off, i tried grounding it to the battery instead of the frame...No luck, it worked after i reset the ground but after i started it back up i got the "audio only" message AND the button illumination doesnt work now...great lol i guess imma have to take it to someone and throw out another 50 or 100 to fix it

Old 06-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Ben D.
Champion

mroe than likely it doesn't need to be just grounded. a lot of the newer ones need to have it switch. ie ground, not ground, ground for it to activate video. not just a straight ground. that's more than likely why it doesn't work.

that's how most newer screens are. ground must be reset every time. some other screens are not. you have to figure out which one it is through trial and error to get it to work. guys i work with just flush mount switches in the center consoles or somewhere to flick the ground on and off.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Matt99
Champion

ben, I did end up having to get that module harness...
I put a switch in it but the lighted switch, imma try one of the simple toggle switches with just a ground and no hot...also, my illumination stopped working!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Ben D.
Champion

i dunno every screen is different on how to do it lol. i only know how to do it on pioneers and jensens, and the jensens as ****ty as they are make it easy to bypass lol, just enter a code on most.

Quick Reply: Problem with In Dash Screen