3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ladder Bar suspention

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:41 PM
metallica77505
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ladder Bar suspention

I havn't got any of my mods in yet but i ordered Jba headers, K&N cold air intake, Jet Stage 2 Chip, 180 degree thermostat, and full exhaust.

Everybody has told me to get a sway bar, but i have a buddy who has a performance shop whotold me to put ladder bars on it, i was wondering if any of yall had them.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:15 PM
marv02
Captain
Default RE: Ladder Bar suspention

I sorry WHY Ladder Bars Do you know what ladder bars are ment for.

They are to help control axle Wrap up Wheel Hop, not Body roll.

If you planning to put some serious Horse power to the ground or do some Baja type off roading Ladder bars can be a good thing BUT DUDE this is a under powered 3.7 V-6 don't waste you money.

Unless you dump some very serious money in to you'er V-6 It will never be a fast motor we are talking $5000.00+ at least the rule of thumb If you make one part fast you have to redo every thing around it so it can hold up to the power increase and reliablity 99.9 time you lose all of it it just a toy weekend race car now( Money Money Money).

If you dead set on buying Ladder bars go a head but do you'er self a favor go down to a GOOD off road type Fab shop have them make you some custom not of the self highBuck junk ones that last a year that break at the welds have cheep pivot points.

Get some made with good Hinds greasable joints that pivot at the axles and WHERE the first u-joint is the drive shaft to get the most out it.

If you do buy some Store per fab junk make sure it pivots where the drive shaft U-Joint is or the supension is just fighting it self and you have to get all the angles right on the ladder bars to get the most out of them or like I said you just wasted you'r money.

Or just have the whole rear end ripped out of the truck and have some coil over rear end installed with built in 4 link, and toruqe bar,dicth the leaf springs.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 PM
marv02
Captain

After thinking about it I have lauched this truck a couple times just to see what this truck could do from a standing startput it up to 5200 RPM's held it there and side stepped the clucth let her rip hopeing I didn't break the truck doing this but it was under factory warrenty still so go for it.

After laughing so hard do lack of power the truck will spin the tires get rubber when I shift all the way to 3rd gear but NEVER had problems with wheel hop not enought power to matter.

Even try this useing the poor man's posi apply some e-brake so both tires are under load so both tires will spin still had to laugh.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
metallica77505

Well first things first, if it were a V-8 it would be underpowered, it's got 6 cylinders, i have never ran anybody with a 6 cylinder and beat me, (except for BMW and stuff like that), i thinkmy 3.7 has some *****, and with some mods, it could be fun, anyways the problem i have is traction and wheel hop. When i go from a dig there is no such thing as traction, i'm sure when i drop it to it's nutz it'll help, but i'm looking for something more.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

get some traction bars

Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 PM
marv02
Captain

I can tell you never had ownned a fast car or truck before If you think the 3.7 fast.

You remine me of my younger step sister when she told me her freind had a GT stang and thought that was fast and it would of gave my 475+ Nitros 100 shot, H/P El Cam with 410 posi rear end turbo 400 trans, a run for it money untill I gave her ride in the El Cam made her see the light the smoke off the tires doing a posi drift slideto the 60 foot mark laying rubber down in every gear doing the posi drift shuffle, and the speed blur she wet her self.

Go drive a FAST car then come back and tell us the 3.7 fast.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 PM
marv02
Captain

I2nd that just get some Slapper bars save you money.

Link to slapper bars

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

ORIGINAL: daytona1680

get some traction bars

Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
metallica77505

Dude, you can't compare a 6 to an 8. I HAVE a 2003 VW GtI 1.8T, it can spank everybody on here, but i don't compare the two, i have a fast 4 cylinder, and am trying to have a quick V6, maybe one day a gas gusseling V8. And how do you compare slapper bars with sway bars and stuff?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:16 PM
marv02
Captain

Ha Ha fast 4 Like I said when you get a fast car let me know.

I seen some fast 4 before but there not many out there that could stay up with the El Cam off the line you get me but after 40 MPH or so See Ya all you see is tail lights.

I also owned in the Past a 1968 big block Camaro this El Cam would Smoke it hands down it was fast too fast to be on the street back in the day but back then gas was about $1.00 a gallon also.

Slapper bars are a lot cheeper than a good set of Ladder bars and on the 3.7 thats all you going to need.

But do what you want it is you money and truck but after a a couple years you see what I ment buy waste of money.

I don't build race cars any more they are fun but you just lose you A' price of gas and up keep and when you sell them you never get you'er money and time back out of them.

I stiil own and Ride Fuul Race type Motor Cycles but I hold on to them for many years I never get what I put in to them but I know this going in to the deal also after all these years of racing and now just riding for fun I know whats a waste of money and what wont work.

I just trying to past down to you new guy what not to do before you go waste you'er money and time.

Like I said it's you'er truck you'er money do what you want with it.

But trust me on this 3.7 is a dog to much weight for a small motor the motor will be great in a lighter car or truck.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Haha God bless ya Marv...but man are your posts hard to read [8D]

But Marv's totally right...if you're hopping your axle with the 3.7, let me know what you're using...cuz I gotta get me some of that.

The 3.7 will never be fast in a Dakota or Ram, but it's got a fair bit of low end power, and is perfectly happy to rev, so it can do a reasonable amount of work. A fast pickup truck, in my mind, is a fairly dumb idea anyway.

Quick Reply: Ladder Bar suspention