3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SkyJacker Lift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 AM
RedRam2005
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SkyJacker Lift Kit

This may sound like a really dumb question, but I was wondering what is the differences between the skyjacker kit and the skyjacker system. They are usually about $500 difference and it doesn't seem like much is different besides the rear springs get replaced on the system. Is there anything that I am missing? And I know the kit calls for 37x12.5x17 tires on a 17x9 rim with 5in backspacing, but could I get away with running 37x13.5x17's on a 17x9 with 4.5in of backspace? I am not the biggest trail person so I won't be flying around in it and beating the hell out of it. It is more or less my DD that likes to occasionally play in the mud or take a shortcut that is not an approved road by the department of transportation.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Bucky
Rookie
Default RE: SkyJacker Lift Kit

That's probably the only difference, just the springs instead of theblocks. Springs are better than blocks, hands down. And if the kit calls for 5" of backspacing, get 5" of backspacing.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup, the more expensive of the two comes with leafs, the lesser uses blocks. Leafs are better, but I've always had blocks, used to run off-road as much and as hard as anybody who uses their daily driver to do so, and never had a problem, although I have personally seen someone snap a "U" bolt and lose their block, but this was on a weekend only play truck doing some things that any sane person would not do with a $30k+ daily driver.
Specs given are ALWAYS the minimum specs, if it calls for 5" of backspace, you need 5" of backspace or you'll need to do some body trimming...

Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
RedRam2005
Professional

ORIGINAL: Bucky

That's probably the only difference, just the springs instead of theblocks. Springs are better than blocks, hands down. And if the kit calls for 5" of backspacing, get 5" of backspacing.

I see. So if I was to go with a 5 or5.5in backspace would itbe possible to clear the 37x13.5x17's without trimming? I was just wondering because I want the biggest tire in the smallest space possible. I like to see all tire and no wheel well.

Quick Reply: SkyJacker Lift Kit