3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock fog lights or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 AM
nextreme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock fog lights or aftermarket?

I am the new owner of a brand new 2008 1500 QC 4x4 TRX4. Since it is the TRX4 and not the TRX4 Offroad, it doesn't come with factory fogs (thanks to Mr.Salesman for not knowing there was a difference). I would like to put fogs in but I cannot decide which would be the better option (1) buy the factory fog lights and wiring to go in the stock location or (2) by aftermarkets and possibly fit them in behind the grill or in the stock holes.

What would the general consensus here be?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker
Default RE: Stock fog lights or aftermarket?

If your truck is prewired, id run stock. Your dealership should be able to tell you if it is or not.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...40051&rd=1

Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 AM
KrazyBrian
Professional

the factory fogs are real nice, I love them.

I seriously rarely use the highbeams because they are so good

Old 06-03-2008, 10:39 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i'd also say the factory. the factory stock lights are hella lights, and they work very well.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 PM
nextreme

Well I just went to the dealer and ordered the lights. I looked upunder the drivers side bumper in behind the fog light filler piece and noticed the wire and connector, which I hope means it is pre-wired. I ordered kit #82209047 (http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-....aspx?pc=12841 )

I also ordered a chromehood deflector at the same time

Thanks guys

Old 06-03-2008, 01:17 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

I would have ordered em from that ebay link i left. That is a dodge dealer and 15 bucks cheaper that what you ordered...that included shipping. Either way, good choice im sure you will be happy with em, i love mine. Once you have em in tho you need to go to your dealer to flash the computer to recognize you have them in.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
nextreme

ORIGINAL: semigod

I would have ordered em from that ebay link i left. That is a dodge dealer and 15 bucks cheaper that what you ordered...that included shipping. Either way, good choice im sure you will be happy with em, i love mine. Once you have em in tho you need to go to your dealer to flash the computer to recognize you have them in.
The thing is that I am in Canada. The price here is $200 at the stealership, but that means I don't have to pay shipping or duty, which could offset any savings by getting the ones from that link. Been there, done that.

So, am I right in assuming that my truck is pre-wired for them as long as that cable and connector are attached behind the drivers side fog housing? It will be a lot easier installing them if that is the case. The other kit that is for non-prewired looks very time consuming. Unfortunatley I will have to bring it into the dealer to have them flash the computer, $40 for 5 minutes of work...not bad eh.

I can't wait to get'em on. I have mudflaps, side steps, and the hood deflector to go on as well.

Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:36 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

If i remember right,under the drivers side near where the fogs install, there should be an orange or red plug which is where the pre wired fog harness would snap into. I hope its that simple for ya!! Good luck on that and snap pics when ya get it together.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All Rams of the cut outs on the bumper for Fog lights, to look at a truck with just the grills and no fog lights leaves the impression some thing is missing, but if you don't want the factery Fogs, which work great, any 4x4 shop carries enough lights to light up a runway.

On my 06 2500 the Fogs were not a expensive option ( forget now the $$$ ) and for off road night driving, you need aftermarket lights

Old 06-04-2008, 02:47 PM
DevilDriver6

How do I tell if my truck is pre-wired for fog lights or not? I've got an '04 SWB Single cab with like NO options on it at all.... Hell, I'm surprised it had cruise control. But, I wanted it that way so I could build it from bone stock up....

How hard is it to install them either way? Do you have to cut the holes where the fog lights go?

Quick Reply: Stock fog lights or aftermarket?