3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are gas guages ever going to be right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 03:54 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are gas guages ever going to be right?

i feel bad for u guys. my truck doesn't run on gas...

...it runs on my charisma.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:13 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ivaskaj

Maybe when/if they start making the gauge go off a tank weight sensor it will be accurate. As it is now, the gauge functions fine. You shouldn't be pushing it to the limit anyway. Bad for the fuel filter. When the gauge gets low, fill it.
Not so much bad for the filter, bad for the pump. The fuel cools thepump.Although if you let the level get down very low, it's more likely to pick up trash from the bottom of the tank. I learned this the hard way. Used to let the gauge get down to fumes. Cost me a $500 fuel pump. Now I don't get below 1/4 tank.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:22 PM
whiteonrice
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed toilet paper goes faster towards the end of the roll too. Coincidence ????

Rick

Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

We should take bets on who's fuel pump is going to go out first...

Old 06-08-2008, 01:24 AM
jstmahoney
Captain

Mine won't be first! I never let it get less than a 1/2 tank in any of our cars. Saves the fuel pumps and saves me from freaking out from seeing how much it costs to fill any oneof them up when it's on E.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:42 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

it says E before it actually goes empty so people don't run out of gas.

+1 on the dont let it go empty. if whatever crap is in there is spread over more gas, it has less chances of getting picked up.

also, don't ever fill up gas when the tanker is there filling up the station. them pumping into the underground tanks stirs up all sorts of stuff in there that will end up in your tank. i've heard bad stories about that.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

ORIGINAL: xfeejayx

it says E before it actually goes empty so people don't run out of gas.

+1 on the dont let it go empty. if whatever crap is in there is spread over more gas, it has less chances of getting picked up.

also, don't ever fill up gas when the tanker is there filling up the station. them pumping into the underground tanks stirs up all sorts of stuff in there that will end up in your tank. i've heard bad stories about that.
+1. That clogged up the fuel filter in my dads '83 GMC pickup. He has never filled up at a station that just got a gas shipment since. I always go in and ask how long ago their tank was filled too.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Az2500Cummins08

Mine does the same thing.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:28 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the handfull of 10-15 year old cars I've upgraded the fuel pump on, not once have I seen anything in the fuel tank. They were perfectly spotless after more than a decade on the road. There's never been anything on the "sock" filter at the pump either.

Underground gas tanks today are highly regulated. Here in GA, they all had to be replaced with new tanks maybe 10 years ago and those that didn't or couldn't were forced to close. Today you can bet those tanks are tightly sealed and sediment free.

And finally, I also have 6 gallons left after reaching E.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:10 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel gauges would be useless if they showed the actual amount in the tank.

The truck moves. It accels/decels/turns/bounces, goes uphill and downhill, etc. If the gauge was reading the actual level it would be useless because it would be bouncing all over hell and gone.

The gauge gives you a buffered/average so that it is readable.

You should NEVER let the tank get lower than 1/8th, 1/4 is better.

You have sediment in the tank.

It comes from many places. The refineries, the retailer holding tanks, the local retailer holding tanks, the local retailer truck tanks, the gas station itself. It all adds up over time. Your tank is the final holding tank. Years ago the truck tanks were made of steel that can rust. Water in gas is a given because of condensation, etc. The water settled to the bottom and rusted the tank.

Sediments are solids and are heavier than the fuel. They will settle to the bottom of your tank. The driving that jossles the tank will stir it, but not to much in a tank that is 1/4 full or better.

Marinas near the ocean in salt water have filters on their pumps to filter the fuel one more time before going into the boats. You don't want sediment in a boat that is going 130 miles offshore. Same for airports.

Quick Reply: Are gas guages ever going to be right?