3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water spots & Registration!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 PM
jstmahoney
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water spots & Registration!

I Just came back today from going on a little road trip. I attempted to wash the truck when I was gone, and the water was so hard I stopped because it was leaving water spots. What do you guys use to get rid of the water spots? I have heard that toothpaste does the trick, but I don’t know… Also, I got my registration today; it’s going to be $330 to register my truck. Yes, I live in California, and everything is more expensive here, but I talked to my Uncle, he has a 04 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4 CTD, and he said that his wasn’t even that much! His truck is a year newer than mine! Is the registration supposed to be more or less expensive when it is registered as commercial? Thanks for any help!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: Water spots & Registration!

you need to wash her in the shade man. If you wash in the shade you don't need to worry about water spots. almost any water will leave spots if leeft dry. they shouldn't be hard at all to get off unless you left them on there for a few weeks they should come right off with just soap and water. takes awhile for the minerals to actually etch.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Usually waxing with a quality Carnuba wax will remove most blemishes from the paint.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 PM
sos
All Star

I'd say NO to toothpaste. It has a grit to it that will probably put scratches in your paint. If you still get water spots even when you wash in the shade, try a water filter on the line to get rid of the minerals in the water.

As for registration, I have no idea how it works in CA, but here in MA, it costs me $40 every two years for registration, $29 a year to inspect it, and I also pay excise tax on my truck every year. This year it was $500 for the excise tax.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:37 PM
jstmahoney
Captain

It wasn't that the water dried on too fast, It was just that the water I used was hard/minerals. I washed it today when i got home, and still spots. It's time for my 3 month wax...hopefulley meguiars nxt will take care of it. And in cali you have to pay every uear to regester, and once the car is a certain age, you have to smog it every other year.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:53 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the registration, commercial vehicles are more, at least here in Florida. No where near what you mentioned. I pay about $50 more for my truck than my car. I think it was $80 last year.

As for the water spots, not only will the sun give you spots, but it could be that your truck body is hot to. Even if you move it to the shade, your truck will stay hot for awhile. Once a year, I do a good waxing and in between, I use a spray on wipe off nanowax that I get from Autozone. Much quicker and easier to deal with. I still get water spots, this is why I use the nanowax.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:01 AM
RamItOne

they sell a nozzle that has a charcoal filter to get you soft water, it works well, just wash the car off with regular water then use the charcoal filter to rinse the other water off...

i just go to the DIY car washes.. their spot free rinse option works well...

Old 06-21-2008, 12:00 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

You could also get the Mr Clean Auto Dry kit.... works well.... does'nt leave spots... and your truck dries quick too... just relplace the filter every 2 -4 Washes.....

Old 06-21-2008, 06:45 PM
84K5

I have heard that a solution of vinegar and water will remove hard water spots.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:01 PM
hemi head

Or,use a chamois...Wally mart sells a nice man made chamios called "the absorber".

Quick Reply: Water spots & Registration!