3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electronic throttle control

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:39 PM
simcro1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electronic throttle control

hello
i am a newbie to this site
i live in the uk and have just bought a ram 1500 laramie with a 5.7 hemi
the other day i was driving and the lightning bolt warning light came on and the ram wouldnt rev out (nothing from the pedal)
turned it off and back on again it worked fine for 5 minutes done this ever since,dealer i got it from said it was the fly by wire unit which i replaced, still does the same i got an obd11 reader but cant get any codes out of the ram it either says done or brings up wierd letters

im stuck please help??????

it does the same everytime runs for about 5 mins then the light comes on and flashes
you can then turn it off and then on and go again for 5mins

it always seems to come on when you let your foot off the gas when coming to a junction then then back on again

Old 06-21-2008, 05:40 PM
sos
All Star
Default RE: electronic throttle control

You said you just got it... When did you buy it? Did you get any kind of warranty? I would be rushing it back to the dealer and making them fix it or return your money if you just got it.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:22 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

Did you replace the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)? Try cleaning the throttle body also.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 PM
jstmahoney
Captain

I hate all of this electronic things on cars now days...now they have electronic steering...it fails and locks up when you are driveing, so you can't turn the wheel from the posistion it is in, and then you must tow it, andit's expensive to get it fixed.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:22 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Fighter jets have been fly-by-wire for years. It's not new technology.
Subabru XT Coupes had Electric power steering. Worked good until the electric motor died.

Wouln't care for drive by wire steering though.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try checking the connection condition of the ECM. The fact that you aren't getting any logical "P" codes from the scanner is strange.

Make sure you disconnect the battery before you start messing with the ECM (main computer located on passenger side firewall). If any of the connections look corroded, clean them up, check the plug side also. If you just replaced the throttle bodyI'm assuming here then you may just need to reset the ECM and reboot. Allow the ECM to recognize and set parameters in the throttle body. Turn it to "on" and let it sit for a few minutes. Shut it off, then try firing it up.

Quick Reply: electronic throttle control