3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

leveling kit/ body lift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 PM
crazzed1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy spacers, good ones are usually cast, don't cheap out and get new shocks you'll thank yourself later, a 3" level kit doesn't require control arm but a lift will or you will have eternal problems with alignment and the dreaded death wobble. If you're gonna monkey with the front end anyway, spend the extra money for the updated tie rods and damper as well. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:13 AM
slammed1

The main issue with 2wd lifts in the frt are the upper a frames get very close tot he coil spring bucket directly below.......which is fine on suspension compression but on suspension extension the upper a frame droops down and can contact the coil spring bucket making a horrible clanging sound which stops the a frame in its tracks and actually damages the upper balljoint in the process if done too many times.

In 02-05 the trucks had thin aluminum upper a frames which cleared a little easier and you could run 2.5 spacers or even 3" coils with hardly an issue unless the suspension dropped quite a bit. 06-08 trucks have a very think metal upper a frame which lessens the gap between the upper a frames and the coil spring bucket below so you cant get away with 2.5 spacers or 3" coils as easy as the earlier models.

Lift spindles dont effect the upper a frame location or travel like a coil spring or spacer do so they would be the first choice of a lift and CST,Doescthech both maake a nice 4" spindle (both same company made I bet) and until a few months back RoughCountry made a 3" spindle but was discontinued until changes were made.

If this is confusing let me know and I can go further into detail.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:43 AM
jumper82

Originally Posted by slammed1
The main issue with 2wd lifts in the frt are the upper a frames get very close tot he coil spring bucket directly below.......which is fine on suspension compression but on suspension extension the upper a frame droops down and can contact the coil spring bucket making a horrible clanging sound which stops the a frame in its tracks and actually damages the upper balljoint in the process if done too many times.
I have a 4wd, so do I have to worry about this?

Old 09-03-2008, 05:31 AM
slammed1

Originally Posted by jumper82
I have a 4wd, so do I have to worry about this?
no,just cv angles

Quick Reply: leveling kit/ body lift?