3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire rotaion questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:05 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire rotaion questions

Hey all
As most of us like to do our own maintenances on our vehicles, I was always lead to believe that you can only rotate front to back with Radial tires. But I just picked up a summer issue of RV magazine and it had a picture in there showing them swapping the right front with the left rear and front left with the right rear. I thought they needed to stay in the same front to rear plane only because of the steel belts “flowing” a certain way after a few hundred miles. Isn’t this the right way??

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Default RE: Tire rotaion questions

as long as they are not uni-directional (which are rare for a truck) you can cross them. Best way to rotate for a RWD is to cross the fronts coming back FR>RL, FL>RR and take the two back tires straight forward RL>FL, and RR>FR.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Wapakfred
Rookie

Yep, your belief was true many, many years ago. But the designs have improved....most of the owners manuals indicate you should do a side to side switch when rotating.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 AM
RamItOne

if they are directionals theyll have lil arrows or triangles pointing what direction they need to roll. If they're asyms then there's only one sidewall that's supposed to be facing out, itll be marked as to which side faces out.

Good thing you don't have a dually.

Hey how many miles on yer tires? Think discount tire for 55 bucks does a lifetime (on the current tires) rotate and ballance.
Well worth it, I never paid cause my friend worked there and now he's at firestone (yeah more free crap)
Anyways 55 bucks is well worth it cause it won't take them long at all to do em each time plus you get em balanced which is something you of course can't do. Its a pita to lift both ends of your truck and rotate em, I did it myself when I changed my brake pads and turned the rotors.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran

Thanks guys. I do have the tire rotation package I was just wondering so when the wife goes to get it done she can mark and tell me what they did and I won't freak out about it. Now that we only have the Ram (Kid totaled theNeon last week)I've got to make sure that is running it's best.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should clear it up some;

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43

Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've rotated tires myself for a while now. Drive wheels straight to the other end, non-drive wheels crossed to opposite corner. Got 57K out of a set of Kelly AWRs on a Ram Wagon (in-town only).

Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 AM
abarmby
Champion

Yep, just did my Cooper Discoverer H/T plus yesterday.
I rotate every oil change now, 5000mls and do the criss cross routine like xfeejayx
They've run almost 19,000 miles and are almost as good as new.
Mainly pavement use on the stock 20's and run at 38 psi.
Nice tire, quiet and good in both the wet and dry on pavement.
Off road, one must consider that they are I think 80% pavement 20% offroad, but they do OK
Al.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

tires on mine are the original stock tires (which i think are pretty crappy btw), 60k and going. still got 6/32 left. rotate every other oil change

Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM
mmstar23
Champion

i have directional tires...so i just move my rear to the front and the front to the rear? kepping them on the same side.

Quick Reply: Tire rotaion questions