3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OPINIONS ON A EARL SCHEIB PAINT JOB??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:44 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OPINIONS ON A EARL SCHEIB PAINT JOB??

the earl scheib over here in chicago (irving and western) does really crappy work. all their customers are taxis, that need a bumper painted and what not. don't really put u in a booth. they tape off and spray...wait a few min, and u drive away. they're cheap as hell though...that's why i have been there a few times. my dodge shadow back in the day needed some work done...car was worth lirk $10, so i got the rear quarter painted cause i backed into a thingie at a gas station. it lasted and all, and they were good at blending the color, but i wouldn't take something i care about over there.

they do bedliners for $350. i've been considering taping off everything myself, and driving over there, with masking paper and all hanging from my truck. having them spray it, and be done w/ it.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Depends on what you want. To look ok from a distance and last you a couple of years, they are fine. If you want a "new vehicle" look, then you need to find a custom paint shop and spend accordingly.

I can't believe your '02 is that bad. My '04 has lived outside from day one from '04 till '06 in Ga. and from late '06 till now in "sunny" Fla.
It gets a VERY thourough hand waxing every three months and gets the spray on/wipe off wax every time I wash it, which is at least monthly.

Hammer, you've been on here for a while...and i wouldn't pull one on you....I can't believe myself......The paint is actually bubbling near the gas tank, for one. and on the hood, roof, and on top of the door the paint is fading bad....I mean it is really noticeable....if it wasn't, believe me i wouldn't be sweating bullets here, trying to find a good painter for a reasonable price, believe me...
My paint job still looks new...

Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: NYPANAMA42

Hammer, you've been on here for a while...and i wouldn't pull one on you....I can't believe myself......The paint is actually bubbling near the gas tank, for one. and on the hood, roof, and on top of the door the paint is fading bad....I mean it is really noticeable....if it wasn't, believe me i wouldn't be sweating bullets here, trying to find a good painter for a reasonable price, believe me...
Don't get me wrong buddy, Ididn't mean that I did not believe you, but that it's hard to believe that your paintis that bad.
You ought to post upa couple of pics...

Old 07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well..... If you insist on Earl here is my 2 cents, and Ihave painted cars personally, Iknowwhat to do and notto do.

Get the Platinum. I just looked at their "packages". Every other packageis a SINGLE stage paint, which is bad. You want a base followed by clear. Not just paint or clear mixed into the paint. None of their packages include any jam painting, and trust me, it will not get any if not noted.

Thier packages are a joke really. Their cheap package does not include any sealer or tacking... Why bother, that will have dust/crap in thefinish and it will rust/bubble in bad climates within two years if they expose any metal during the sanding, which may not happen though knowing their work.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
ray97
Veteran

I agree, I may have just lucked out when I had mine done. My truck looked 10x better than it did but it was by no means a show quality paint job. Again just be careful and look at the work they have on other cars.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

Well..... If you insist on Earl here is my 2 cents, and I have painted cars personally, I know what to do and not to do.

Get the Platinum. I just looked at their "packages". Every other package is a SINGLE stage paint, which is bad. You want a base followed by clear. Not just paint or clear mixed into the paint. None of their packages include any jam painting, and trust me, it will not get any if not noted.

Thier packages are a joke really. Their cheap package does not include any sealer or tacking... Why bother, that will have dust/crap in the finish and it will rust/bubble in bad climates within two years if they expose any metal during the sanding, which may not happen though knowing their work.
What is "Jam Painting"?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 PM
ray97
Veteran

I think he is talking about door jams or under the hood, if you were changing colors.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:20 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

I called this other paint shop today, and i was quoted at a minimum $3500 dollars....I guess the economy is not effecting this guy...

Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

3500 bucks from a pro paint shop is agood price...last paint job i had done was over 7K

Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Is it possible he could run it to a Good shop and have them wet sand the current clear, then re-clear it using the original base???????????

I'm no painter, but it seems that this is a possibility-at a somewhat reduced price over-all for a DECENT job.

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

Well..... If you insist on Earl here is my 2 cents, and Ihave painted cars personally, Iknowwhat to do and notto do.

Get the Platinum. I just looked at their "packages". Every other packageis a SINGLE stage paint, which is bad. You want a base followed by clear. Not just paint or clear mixed into the paint. None of their packages include any jam painting, and trust me, it will not get any if not noted.

Thier packages are a joke really. Their cheap package does not include any sealer or tacking... Why bother, that will have dust/crap in thefinish and it will rust/bubble in bad climates within two years if they expose any metal during the sanding, which may not happen though knowing their work.

Quick Reply: OPINIONS ON A EARL SCHEIB PAINT JOB??