3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OPINIONS ON A EARL SCHEIB PAINT JOB??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:13 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OPINIONS ON A EARL SCHEIB PAINT JOB??

As the title says, I am seeking opinions on a "Earl Scheib" paint job.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:23 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OPINIONS ON A EARL SCHEIB PAINT JOB??

They say the spray part of the work from places like that is ok. It's the prep that they skimp on. If you don't have any body work that needs to be done it'll probably come out ok.

What color? That makes a difference too.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:33 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Well the truck is black, and i wanted to have the entire done over, because Chrylser did a terrible job on this truck. After 6 years it's turning white all over the Hood/door, and gas tank areas.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:39 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has got to be better then Maacco! I took a blazer to Maacco in High school to get a paint job and new chrome trim and I could have done a better job with a can of spray paint! NO LIE! Within a week the trim fell off and they didn't even bother to paint under it, even though they had it off to replace it! And the paint started to peel off on most corners! I don't think they even washed it bafore they painted it! When we went back to complain the manager got irrate and told us to leave! Needless to say, after a lot of hassel and letters to the BBB, We got a full refund!

Just check out some of the cars and trucks there and see what the quality of there work looks like! No better way to tell then to see for yourself!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:08 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Earl is the discount paint shop of paint shops. Like shopping at K-Mart vs shopping on Rodeo drive.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 PM
ray97
Veteran

I had my 97 Ram painted there. The whole truck for around 750. They actually did a pretty nice job, but the truck didn't need much prep and I think they took extra care of me because I had just returned from Iraq and the manager was a Marine vet also. They only thing with the whole job was the trim, they do not remove any trim, they just tape over it....so in a couple places I had over spray on the trim. But overall it was a good looking truck.Compared to what other places around here wanted it was great! I believe theshop said they put 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear coat. I had it for about a year after the paint then sold it, I do see it once in a while and it still looks good.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Depends on what you want. To look ok from a distance and last you a couple of years, they are fine. If you want a "new vehicle" look, then you need to find a custom paint shop and spend accordingly.

I can't believe your '02 is that bad. My '04 has lived outside from day one from '04 till '06 in Ga. and from late '06 till now in "sunny" Fla.
It gets a VERY thourough hand waxing every three months and gets the spray on/wipe off wax every time I wash it, which is at least monthly.
My paint job still looks new...

Old 07-06-2008, 05:43 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

So overall i did a pretty good job..Do you remember which package you got> Because i see that they have close to five available...Bronze;Silver;Gold;Pearl;and Platinum..

Old 07-06-2008, 10:30 PM
ray97
Veteran

I think it was the gold, but not sure. But again like someone else said take a look at other cars that they have done to make sure it is something you are good with. The shop I took it to had a couple of finsihed cars sitting there that looked good so that is when I decided to do it. Also what hammer is saying is true, you get what you pay for it should look good but not like a new car. At the time the 750 was much easier to swallow than the 4000 i was quoted at a body shop and said they could not offer a guarantee because of the spray-in bedliner[:@].

Old 07-06-2008, 10:32 PM
ray97
Veteran

Personnally I think it will have a lot to do with the actual painter than anything else.

Quick Reply: OPINIONS ON A EARL SCHEIB PAINT JOB??