3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changing plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default changing plugs...

I got a quote for 350.00 cdn to change the plugs in my 5.7. five bucks per plug times 16 + Labour.

Never new copper went up in price, how ever, I decdied I'm doing it my self.

The 2 plugs behind the brake boaster look like a SOB, + the coil pack. but I'm going to do it.

I'm new to coil packs, I have swapped out a lot of plugs with spark plug wires, but I do have questions with the coil packs.

Disconecting the battery is a no brainer, but do I have to disconect the connection to the coil pack, or can I just take off the coil pack to get at the Plugs?

Once I take off the coil pack, is thier a gasket or rubber seal that seals on to the valve cover?

A lot of advise says to use copper plugs, but why every 50,000 km? On my old beaters from the 80's I could get four times the life out of the same copper plug, but Iron block, iron heads, dose a AL. head do something to the Copper?

And how tight are the plugs installed at the factery, I don't want to bust off the ceramic part of the plug, bean thier done that, but than I was never worried, back than I had my own version of MDS....

Now, is going to A Iradium plug going to foul up the plugs? I have been told the igntion coumputer ( ya I know its one for all the truck ) gets confused trying to fire a Platt. plug amd works best with copper..

Thanks .....

Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 AM
TheUsed801
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: changing plugs...

What engine do you have?

Old 07-08-2008, 01:44 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

You'll hear all kinds of BS...when it comes down to it a plug is a plug as long as they're in the same heat range. Gap them correctly and they'll fire just fine....and don't over tighten. Some last longer than others...and that's what you pay for with the Iridium plugs or plats.

Do the plugs yourself...even if it takes you 6 hours for whatever reason think of it as you paying yourself $50 an hour.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a swivel head plug socket and 3-4" extension in 3/8". Piece of cake. I believe the coil packs take a 10mm. The reason for the change on the the coppers is they do wear down fairly fast and seriously open the gap. I change mine out every 30k miles and notice a perceptable difference in how it runs every time.

Which reminds me, I'll be at 90K in a couple of months, better get'em ordered soon.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a PIA compared to most vehicles, but still something you can do yourself and save a ton of $.
There's a DIY on it I did the other day for someone here...

https://dodgeforum.com/m_1356315/mpa...tm.htm#1356315

Old 07-08-2008, 12:49 PM
chefred112
All Star

you don't have to remove anything from the coil packs (unless you want to)...I don't even pull the battery cable off either (I've changed my plugs so much)...unscrew the 2 bolts holding them down and pull it outta the way other then that, it just takes time (about an hour an a half for me) to do em...when I go to the track, sometimes I just replace the coil pack plug (primary)

Old 07-08-2008, 01:03 PM
kenihemi
All Star

Chefred said it great.

Only thing I'll add is be carefull of the coil bolts. I had one drop into one of the plug holes.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kenihemi

Only thing I'll add is be carefull of the coil bolts. I had one drop into one of the plug holes.
Yikes!! Good thing you knoew where it went, if that would have got into the cylinder bad things would have happened.

I sat on the cross member where the hood latches doing most of mine, made it easy.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:16 PM
kenihemi
All Star

I couldn't find it anywhere, took one of the telescoping magnets and fished around in the plug holes and "clink". Thank God.

Best to remove them and put them aside while the coils are out.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:42 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parts source sells a pack of 2 champion spark plugs for 5 bucks, cdn dealer mark up was 5 bucks for one plug.... Bought them. all 16, but As I pulled out the first plug, it still looks new, not brand new, but still in good shape..

Just for a note, bosch platium 4+ were 19.00 for two plugs....

Quick Reply: changing plugs...