2003 DODGE RAM HEMI SWAP - Page 3 - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

2003 DODGE RAM HEMI SWAP

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 DODGE RAM HEMI SWAP

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Brandoro

Hey man, could you give me a list of everything you needed for the swap? I'm looking to do the same thing with my 2003 4.7l. And if you have had any difficulties after the initial swap a heads up would be great. Thanks - Brandoro

Old 03-14-2012, 12:55 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

He cant reply. He is broken down somewhere and needs our help

You could do what they did with the Hyundai. Put the hemi in the front and the 4.7 in the bed. Hook them up seperately via a unique drive train setup, put out 700+ hp with alltime 4 wheel drive. Sounds fun

Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Jamison

I did the swap about a year ago in my 2004...You have to swap harness and PCM, NOT transmisson, NOT motor mounts, NOT driveshafts....2 biggest issues and pretty much the only issues i found is the exhaust for one. The manifolds on the hemi dont line up to the exhaust pipes from the 4.7 AND there is no room to weld in a pipe. You're going to have to cut the catylitic converters off and weld them in further back to make room for a pipe to attach to the HEMI exhaust manifolds...I just cut mine off and left them off
2nd issue and probably the biggest issue of them all that I ran into and still today have problems with is the THROTTLE...The 4.7 uses your standard throttle cable to throttle valve, the HEMI uses a drive-by-wire meaning basically, cable runs to a sensor under your battery tray...ya so, you can buy the $500 throttle body conversion, I think BBK has a decent one? Or you can do what im doing now after a year looking on ram forums to figure out another solution...Overall, DEFINETLEY worth the swap, the HEMI has WAY bigger ***** than that winky 4.7...dont let people tell you to not waste your time when they never even done it...makes me laugh

Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

I wouldn't touch the dash wires. You'll open a completetly new can of worms . To properly do this swap all it takes is the PCM and complete wiring harness for a 04'-05' Hemi "From the headlights to the dash" . Hemi motor mounts , Hemi exhaust , A Junkyard APPS box with the cable , and the correct EVAP PURGE unit..You have to modify small things like the fuel line and the power steering line..
My second Hemi Swap was my 2002 Ram . It got a 2004 Hemi motor and transmission. I've been driving it since January with no problems , "Knocking on wood" . I used my 4.7 Motor mounts and custom made new perch mounts for the
frame out of 3/8" plate steel.. I don't have a pipe bender - so I customized my dual exhaust to run out in front of the rear wheel on the passengers side. I have a 3" single going into the hollowed out Auto~Zone muffler and 2 . 2-1/2" inch pipes coming out..I'm VERY happy with the sound..
Anyone needing help or advice for any Hemi swap needs to do nothing but ask. I've helped a lot of people do these swaps . My first swap was a 2004 Hemi into a 2001 Dakota.. Hemi Dakota Swap with Pics..There are some great pics on 1-4 , 8-10 , and a lot of hard to find info about wiring ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0YWvZqlrEo.

Last edited by HemiDak-Quad; 05-27-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Only a 5 year old thread. Its not too old

Old 05-29-2012, 03:26 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

So many people have wanted to do this swap , very few do . I respond to anyones post that might need help . sometime I miss the posted date ..I really doubt this swap happened..

Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Stampede4.7

Paging HemiDak-Quad, your PM box is full, I would like to talk to you about the Hemi swap.

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

It's not full any more. I finally got around to deleating the old messages.. PM away my friend , I'll help you if I can...

Old 06-02-2012, 01:09 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

, It's not full any more. I finally got around to deleating the old messages.. PM away my friend , I'll help you if I can...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 DODGE RAM HEMI SWAP

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: