3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

magnaflows

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 PM
callaway66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnaflows

ok i go a single cab dodge ram 1500 and i want the magnaflow exhaust system but when i get that do i need to get the catback or just the magnaflows dose it really help that much when u get the catback or will it sound tha same with just tha magnaflows????

Old 07-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator
Default RE: magnaflows

I went ALL the way, split the exhaust, added JBA headers, H/F Magnaflow cats and mufflers. If you have the $$$...GO BIG. If can only afford the mufflers, then do that. You will not be disappointed. That alone should create a difference, sound-wise (though not as much as w/the catback).

Old 07-13-2008, 08:29 PM
ray97
Veteran

Also lots of time it is cheaper to have a shop put it on for you with there pipes and just have a Magnaflow muffler installed instead of what they are offering. I had mine done for 450. If you buy the cat-back setup offline it is about 550-600 bucks.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

just replacing the muffler will make a huge difference. i did mine with basically shop pipes. often think i would have been just as well off with just the muffler

Old 07-14-2008, 01:40 AM
pcollins
Veteran

Ray is right, find a muffler shop and have them do it. I got a Magnaflow SI/DO with one tailpipe exiting out behind each rear tire and it was $300 out the door. This included the Magnaflow muffler, all the piping, 2 chrome 3" tips, and all the labor (which included the welding).

I cant believe they get people to buy the $600 sets on ebay. Thats ridiculous.

Also, you gotta realize where Muffler shops make their money... its all in the sales of the Mufflers, etc. If you buy a muffler elsewhere and bring it to a shop to install they will be pissed because they arent making money on the labor. This is why you can usually find a good deal at a shop if you do everything through them.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The Magnaflow cat-back cost more because the mufflers and pipe are both stainless. Not rust in a few years aluminized. If you want it to last, then get the cat-back. But the time you replace the pipes and such in a few years, it will have paid for itself being stainless.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:49 PM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional

I had a 3" in/out magnaflow installed in mine by a gentleman who is contracted by some of the OEMs for one-off & other special exhaust work. I was perfectly willing to have him install a complete true dual or cat back system, but he assured me that my truck, already having dual cats and a 3" system from the factory that is already stainless, is just as well off by just adding a very good muffler. One of the bigger advantages, he showed me, is that the stock system really IS 3" all the way back, with the only exception being the inlet of the stock muffler is necked down to 2 1/2". If you cut off the last 2 inches or so of the inlet pipe, and weld it to the new muffler, you now have a complete 3" stainless syetem for very little outlay of cash.

My system now sounds excellent, and I have noticed an improvement in both power and fuel economy.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 PM
theo112

i got my Magnaflow cat back from Auto Anythingfor $460.00 shipped and couldn't be happier.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 PM
southernrammer05

I have an 05 single cab, with a magnaflow muffler on it, just the muffler, and it not only sounds great, but also performs great, and slightly better gas mileage at cruise (the only time I can keep my foot off it enought to matter ) after the muffler the exhaust pipe is dumped up above the axle, which gives it a super clean look. If your looking to do it on the cheap, just go with the muffler, but I reccomend going all out.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Mopar102

Bought magnaflow Stainless cat-back for 07 ram hemi single side exit part 16699, from hottexhaust.com 419.00 plus tax (pst. gst. ontario!) You can make offers on the systems!Can't wait to install it!

Quick Reply: magnaflows