3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gray key in 08?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gray key in 08?

Why not just get a dry bag? thay are available at any sporting goods store and are made for that purpose. The one I have i got at Bass Pro and it secures to a mount I attached under the console. I keep my wallet, smokes, and keys in it as well as boat registration.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

Old 07-16-2008, 09:38 AM
HuskyJazz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 06, I had the remote and key all in one. I bought two of the gray keys off of ebay and had ace cut them. They also did it for free because it was my key. I programed them myself with the other two keys I had and the work just like the factory ones. I don't even use the factory ones that it came with because I have an aftermarket alarm now. I'm not 100% positive on an 08, but I would imagine that since I could with my 06 then 08 probably could too.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:19 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My 08 did.

Just a note, the 08 has no key cylinder in the passenger side door, only driver side.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:17 PM
jchuchla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SUCCESS!!

I got my gray key today from autotransponder.com (for $24.00 shipped). I took it to ace hardware and had it cut. They charged me $2.00 rather than the normal 2.50 since i brought my own key. I took it home and programmed it with the instructions that came with the key. It works!

NOTE: the instructions from autotransponder.com say there'll be a confirmation chime from the truck. There is no such chime on my 08, but the red dash light gives enough status.

The only quirk is that if you lock the door with the remote key, and then go back and open with the gray key, the alarm goes off (horn starts beeping). But if i go and start the truck, the horn stops right away and the truck runs normally. I can live with this for the occasions i plan on using the gray key.

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions.

Quick Reply: Gray key in 08?