3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New stereo system - Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 PM
devildg84
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New stereo system - Your thoughts?

i have a box under my back seat of my quad cab with 2 10" memphissubs the amp (rockford)i put under the pass. side seat, kept the stock head unit, i have pioneer door speakers, they fit perfect into the stock place, and a rockford capasitor to keep my lights from dimming. it sounds awsome even with the stock system. but if you are looking for a head unit with blue tooth and ipod... i had a alpine head unit in my old truck which was nice.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:56 AM
azdodgeram

i have a clarion deck sat. ready and ipod capable. i chose to run my ipod through my aux plug off the deck. i think its easier to navagate through the ipod instead of trying to find albums or play lists on the deck it self. but i can not charge my ipod off my deck this way. i used boston acoustics speakers in my doors and 3 1/2" clarion tweeters in the dash. there is a prefab box that fits one or two 10" subs under your rear seat(belive you have the quad cab). i put my amp under my driver seat. most of this will be personal prefrence of yours. the key will be to find a deck that will power your speakers that will not be on an amp, and get an amp (or amps) strong enough to power what ever subs you have.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 PM
2005DodgeRamDad
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: devildg84

i have a box under my back seat of my quad cab with 2 10" memphissubs the amp (rockford)i put under the pass. side seat, kept the stock head unit, i have pioneer door speakers, they fit perfect into the stock place, and a rockford capasitor to keep my lights from dimming. it sounds awsome even with the stock system. but if you are looking for a head unit with blue tooth and ipod... i had a alpine head unit in my old truck which was nice.
I have been trying to post here for a couple days but have had trouble doing so. May have to PM.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:57 PM
HemiJay

The door panels come off very easy. 2 phillip screws at the bottom, a 10mm bolt for the door handle, and 1 screw in the middle of the door, and another at the top at the piece by the side view mirror. I went with pioneer 6X9s in the front, and 6 1/2s in the back doors. The infinity system that came with my truck was crap. I did not wire up the 3 tweeters in the dash to the new system, there were more than enough highs. I used xtant 10s with kenwood 850..(the 50 could be off). and used the storage under the front middle seat for the door speaker amp. I had 2 JL 10s, but for some reason the Xtant sounded better in this truck. You dont have to spend a fortune to get a good sound. I have had just about every brand, and they really dont make enough of a difference to spend so much extra money on. I bought the door speakers refurbished, along with an MDF box for $115 and it is loud as hell. You want to put your money in your amps.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:25 AM
2005DodgeRamDad
Professional

Thanks for the door panel removal info. So you figure it's an easy swap for the door speakers. What's the secret to remove the head unit?
In looking at my truck - a family of four transpo ride at times - I figured I couldn't mount any subs. I have seen sub boxes on ebay but I don't want to lose my fold-flat floor.
So... I priced out a Pioneer DEHP700BT 50W(iPod and built-in Bluetooth) with FOCAL 690CA1 6x9s for the front and FOCAL 130CA1 5' for the rear. Noadditional amp. With pigtails, faceplate kit, etc, installation and 4 yearparts and labor was quoted at $1300.
I heard the system in a test booth and it sounded good. A sub would make it betterbut I can do without as there really isn't a good place to putone.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:29 AM
2005DodgeRamDad
Professional

ORIGINAL: azdodgeram

i have a clarion deck sat. ready and ipod capable. i chose to run my ipod through my aux plug off the deck. i think its easier to navagate through the ipod instead of trying to find albums or play lists on the deck it self. but i can not charge my ipod off my deck this way. i used boston acoustics speakers in my doors and 3 1/2" clarion tweeters in the dash. there is a prefab box that fits one or two 10" subs under your rear seat(belive you have the quad cab). i put my amp under my driver seat. most of this will be personal prefrence of yours. the key will be to find a deck that will power your speakers that will not be on an amp, and get an amp (or amps) strong enough to power what ever subs you have.
See my quote for deck and speakers. What do you think?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
silvernightmare
Veteran

2 10" Kicker comp vx's
1 Kicker ZX1000 amp
stock deck
Dodge infinity speakers
Under rear seats
Sounds amazing!
As for decks I used to own a Alpine and loved it.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 PM
2005DodgeRamDad
Professional

That's a sweet setup silvernightmare, but here's my situation. My rig has the fold flat floor and with a wife and kids, I just can't pull it out for subs. Serious bummer as it is, I am trying to make the better system without subs. That is why I am focusing on a head unit with enough built in poop and nice speakers.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Ben D.
Champion

nice I'm a fan of the comp vx's. I'd go for a good single din or double din head unit a nice 4 channel amplifier and components up front and a nice set of coax's in back. won't have ridiculous bass but it will be clear and nice.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:42 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran

"I'd go for a good single din or double din head unit a nice 4 channel amplifier and components up front and a nice set of coax's in back. won't have ridiculous bass but it will be clear and nice"

I agree.You will get highs, mids and some lows.

Quick Reply: New stereo system - Your thoughts?