3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New stereo system - Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 AM
2005DodgeRamDad
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New stereo system - Your thoughts?

I currently have the stock system with four speakers and will be shopping for a better system. I am looking for a head unit that is iPod and Bluetooth ready, replacements for all door speakers, and a sub that can fit without much intrusion or any cutting.

Suggestions formoderately priced components?

My truck hasn't any rattles now. In your experience, did you find that a system can be installed without new noisefrom the removal and reinstallation of door panels, etc.

Bear in mind that I am not looking for the biggest or loudest but my objective is to have a system that provides a bettersound with a bit of increase in volume. I don't know how many watts the stock system pushes but am looking to increase that.Ipod and Bluetooth capability is a must too.

Have you found anynational chain (best Buy, Circuit City, CarToys, etc.) that has provided you good service that you would recommend?

I know that this is subjective but wanted you opinions, thanks.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:36 AM
TheUsed801
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New stereo system - Your thoughts?

Pioneer makes great quality head units with iPod and bluetooth connections. The iPod will be fully controllable through the head unit, and it should run you around 150 I want to say.... not to mention you'll never have to bring your iPod in the house to charge it or hook up a charger in the car. As far as door speakers go, I prefer MB Quart or Rockford Fosgate. You'll get good prices and quality with RF, and great quality and high prices with MBQ. As far as subs go, I have one 10" JL Audio W3 with a ported box with a true 500 watt amp pushing it. So you could get an amp about half that size and one JL Audio W1 and have nice, smooth bass.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:11 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Troubles posting a long reply so here is the short:
equipment: Pioneer - Moderate pricing?: probably around $1000 for what you want - Install and buy from Circuit City or Best Buy is good - Buy from the same CC or BB online as they are always running deals and you can sometimes google coupons for their sites

Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

buy from sonic elextronix on ebay. their prices are hard to beat. most of the stuff you are talking about is really easy to install. maybe get teh sub installed by BB or CC, but other than that, I'd do it myself. You can install the head unit and all four speakers in a couple of hours with very basic tools, and no real hard work.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 PM
throberts
Professional

I've got a Kenwood DVT-512..bluetooth, I-Pod, Nav, and backup camera. If you get a Rockford 10" thin Punch box it fits great behind the rear seat and is small...I've got a 500W amp driving the sub underneath it in the storage bin and a 400W x2 driving 4 6" alpine's in the doors with tweeters in the dash.Installed neatlywith everything hidden well. Love it.
Got it at Best Buy by the way, installed there.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:26 AM
2005DodgeRamDad
Professional

ORIGINAL: throberts

I've got a Kenwood DVT-512..bluetooth, I-Pod, Nav, and backup camera. If you get a Rockford 10" thin Punch box it fits great behind the rear seat and is small...I've got a 500W amp driving the sub underneath it in the storage bin and a 400W x2 driving 4 6" alpine's in the doors with tweeters in the dash.Installed neatlywith everything hidden well. Love it.
Got it at Best Buy by the way, installed there.
I have been trying all day to successfully post. You have a Mega and I have a Quad so there is no room behind the seat. Your Kenwood must have been a few $$$. How do you hide it? Is the faceplate detachable?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 AM
2005DodgeRamDad
Professional

ORIGINAL: xfeejayx

buy from sonic elextronix on ebay. their prices are hard to beat. most of the stuff you are talking about is really easy to install. maybe get teh sub installed by BB or CC, but other than that, I'd do it myself. You can install the head unit and all four speakers in a couple of hours with very basic tools, and no real hard work.
Do all the panels (door and dash) remove and replace easily? If I read Crutchfield right, are there 6x9s in the front doors and 6-1/2s in the rear doors? Are there any orther factory spots for speakers?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
southernrammer05

I recomend pioneer head units. I have one, an older one, but it is still really nice. As far as speakers go, then I would go with Polk audio, and for the sub, I again say go for polk audio, they hit hard, and dont sound trashy. I would say go to custom sounds, but they are overpriced. I reccomend doing it yourself, its really not that hard. but fry's does good work, if you decide to get it done professionally. plus its the only place to get polk audio stuff.

if you decide to do it yourself, then I reccomned, as xfeeljayx said, get it from sonicelectronix.

just my $.02

Old 07-22-2008, 10:20 PM
notto
Rookie

jensen vm9512

Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 PM
throberts
Professional

the kenwood I have is a fold out DVD receiver with a flat screen...it recesses into itself.

Quick Reply: New stereo system - Your thoughts?