3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Wire and Gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:56 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Wire and Gears

ORIGINAL: 7mmmag1

oh and the power wire is supposed to advance the timing, but most people on here will tell you they are junk. Havent tried it myself, so I have no input on this
doesn't advance timing, just makes air temp sensor read cooler at wide open throttle.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

sorry, guess its been awhile since i read about it lol

Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 AM
nfisher
Default Nick at airram.com

The power wire does advance the timing by... as you say... a constant lower temp by 20F. Read up on it, as I'm sure you already have.

What it comes down to is... a hope that the sum of all the smaller mods we do will ultimately add up to something more than what we've got now, and a slight timing advance (if you have a little faith in the product) couldn't hurt for a little more power. Nick at airram.com is cool as hell and will give you a good idea of what his product can do. He's got 3.7L V6 + powerwire dyno sheets on his website... the dyno sheets make the product more appealing than skeptical posts. Check it out! $50 plus the jet stream scoop for lower engine compartment temp ($40)... remember to think about the sum of all smaller mods- and eventually someone's going to figure it out with a turbo!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:29 AM
prideplayer10

Originally Posted by nfisher
and eventually someone's going to figure it out with a turbo!
STS Turbo has already acknowledged that a turbo could be done for our v6's! I've recently been in contact with Joe at STS Turbo...he has been very helpful in answering my questions about doing a bolt-on system for our trucks (guys w/ 3.7L V6). I asked him if was possible to use the same bolt-on kit sold for the Dodge Hemi's and use it on our truck with a smaller turbo etc. As well as what were all the things I would need to do this setup correctly...such as tuning etc. He replied saying:

Call KRC for tuning 1st

It can be done for sure .It just a matter of desire vs. cost.

The tuner kit is $3995.00 and with intercooler is $5495.00.

3-8 psi is ok with pump gas.

I asked him what the difference was between the 630 and 550 kit and he responded saying:

The 630 unit would be good for a heavy truck, big tires, or towing .That being said it would be full boost @ around 3500rpm.

The 550 unit would do it @ 3000.A little better for day to day use .The 550 is a better match up for you.

We will swap the air filter and cover for it .Still a bolt on .You are correct5 on the tuner kit .All but tuning.

The $3995.00 included the blow off valve too.

You can order direct with all major credit cards.

Respectfully, Joe@sts.

So there you have it...I know people have searched for options like this as far as a bolt-on kit goes...and turns out it sounds like this would be a good way to go!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:20 PM
nfisher

I know man, I read your post when you first wrote it a few days ago. I meant eventually ONE OF US (...v6 owners...) is going to actually figure out the turbo kits that are available now for our truck... and then ACTUALLY install it. I'm waiting on derricksmash or redbud, they seem to know their sht pretty well. is anyone actually going to install a turbo on their V6?

Old 08-09-2008, 12:38 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by nfisher
is anyone actually going to install a turbo on their V6?
pretty soon i hope. ALL of my spare cash has been dropped into my z28. it's about there. just needs brakes/rotors and some timing work done,a nd then it's all good. then i could start toying w/ my truck again.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

you're badly mistaken if you think redbud knows his sht well

lol

btw when did we get censors on our forum?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:40 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW... This is the first time I have ever heard the "POWER WIRE" described as "JUNK"...LOL But OK. Please tell me the application you used it on and how the results where measured. 99.9% of the time you will be able to feel the gains right away. Also... Where did you purchase it? Was it an E-Bay Wonder wire/resistor?

The POWER WIRE DOES cause a 3-4 degree advance in timing... that's where the POWER comes from. What it literally does is gives back timing your PCM has removed... So if your PCM is removing 6 degrees timing... the POWER WIRE will give back 3-4 of that so your PCM will only be removing 2-3 degrees. So its an advance no matter how you cut it.

As for additional fuel, it can NOT cause your PCM to add additional fuel in Part throttle positions because your PCM uses your O2 sensors to keep the Air Fuel Ratio nailed to 14.75:1 at all part throttle positions. At WOT the PCM no longer uses the o2 sensors and at that time the POWER WIRE will add 2.5% more fuel at WOT only. In many cases when you add a high flow intake and free flowing exhaust like our 3.7L JBA headers with a High flow "Y" pipe and exhaust system you tend to run lean at WOT... the POWER WIRE cures this and brings your AFR back down approximately a half point (Richer).

Google it! The POWER WIRE has been around for YEARS with great feedback. Im not sure how it became known as a bad mod on this site... but I'm sure most the people who say its not a good mod have never used one. The POWER WIRE is worth a solid 8-10RWHP on all 2002-2008 Dodges/Jeeps. There are other applications but this is the window we currently advertise for. And we offer a 100% money back guarantee... so honestly there is nothing to lose and only 10RWHP to gain with only 20 seconds of your time.

As for gears, depending on your transmission overdrive ratio and tire height we can help you pick the best ratio of gears.

For BEST overall performance you should aim for 2100RPM@60MPH.

In my opinion 4.56's are KING for all 2002 UP trucks using a 30"+ tall tire... after 33" I would recommend 4.88's for best ALL ROUND performance.

I Run 4.56's on my 2002 4.7L Ram and still can crank out 19-20MPG at 65MPH.

We are going to be building a Supercharged 3.7L over the summer after we complete our Whipple charged 4.7L engine.... stay tuned. Heck we may just look into the STS kit that your looking at... we will see, I just think the 3.7L in a truck would be better off with INSTANT boost for more low end grunt.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR RAM; 08-10-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Redbud66
Professional

I heard that a hole

Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

yea...air ram...you need to supercharge one of our beasts.

you have a 10day deadline.

Quick Reply: Power Wire and Gears