3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 Headers, any difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:57 PM
eastxHEMIram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ram racing: cut what back 4 inches? a header flange or part of the truck frame/crossmember etc?

UPboiler, I didn't know there were plugs under the packs as well ! So, do the plug tips sit close in the combustion chamber or are they on opposite sides? Also, do they fire in time with eachother (same cylinder)?...I know this was a huge debate regarding the hemi firing scheme, curious about this 4.7.

Thanks for the info!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:39 PM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional

Both plugs fire simultaneously. Anything else would make the flame fronts hit each other unequally and result in detonation/preignition noises.

From what you are saying, I'm assuming you're wondering if one plug would fire on one power stroke of the engine, and then the other plug fire on the next? I believe that process would make the engine feel like it was missing or chugging due to incomplete burn and inconsistent combustion characteristics from one cylinder to the next.

The whole point of the dual plug system is complete burn in the cylinder for more power (burning ALL the fuel to get the most power possible from a given amount of fuel), and lower emissions (complete burn = lower hydrocarbon emissions).

The plugs are basically aimed at each other from the opposing sides of the combustion chamber.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 PM
eastxHEMIram
Rookie

Thanks for the info Boiler. By the looks of things, these 16 plugs should be a bit easier to change than on the Hemi.

i was originally curious about the headers, wondering if there was a mid-length model available. Looking for some low end...motor doesn't really lug in the low rpms, but it feels like it could have some more umph.

Don't get me wrong, I've been pretty impressed with this motor for the little while I've had it. Gas milage is actually better than I was getting in the other truck. I figured going to a larger truck and smaller motor, I'd be losing a little. But overhead is showing 20.8 (@65 mph) and around 17.0 (easy city driving). Pen/paper average after a tank seems to be around 18. This isn't too bad IMO.

Also, another question, the 6 speed in this truck, is it the same tremec tranny used before?

Quick Reply: 4.7 Headers, any difference?