3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bored and Curious

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Redbud66
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not arguing with the fact that a turbo charged 4 cylinder will make just as much power as a n/a v8 and get better gas mileage while doing it, but to putting a turbo on an engine that previously ran without it i.e. a dodge ram v6 would require a ridiculous amount of reworking, unlike the vehicles that you mentioned which come from the factory with a turbo and are already made to handle that added air flow and compression, and no matter how you did it you would still get the same or, more likely, worse gas mileage because of the amount of boost the previous guys suggest running unless you went with a turbo that only kicked on in excess of 3200 rpm which would be totally pointless unless you wanted to make a r(a/i)cer out of it. As for the highway mileage, I do not know the vehicle well, but it would be my guess that it is running well below the rpm that would cause the turbo to make any significant difference in either power or mileage, so it is as though you are running with, for all practical purposes a regular 4 cylinder which is basically what mds does except that you have a v4 as opposed to an inline (not sure of that but I think that is the configuration it uses). Not to sound offensive or any thing, but I dislike turbos. It is entirely a matter of personal opinion, and what is practical for me might be completely different than what is practical for you so it might be best to just agree to disagree. However, in keeping with the topic, I think that perhaps I was not specific enough with my question. I was wondering how much power you all think could be made with more than bolt on modification, but still not turning the truck into something that had to be pulled to a race track.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:28 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

think your fuel mileage is bad now just wait until you put a cam and a bigger throttle body on it

Old 08-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Big#44
Professional

redbud your right. we shall agree to disagree. it wouldnt make sense to put it on the truck. ill be the first to say that. i still dont see a clear reason of why you dislike turbos. you just say that you dont like them.

Quick Reply: Bored and Curious