3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bored and Curious

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Redbud66
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bored and Curious

Just wondering how much power you all think we could get out of these v6's with proper modification...cams, heads, valves...stuff like that (and yes I do realize that they don't make some of the stuff I just listed as well as the stuff I didn't, I'm just curious what you all think) in addition to the common bolt on modifications.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

well, they make 400 hp wet shot kits, add a hundred hp give or take for a custom turbo, and then chip and other goodies, 750+, but it would have no drivability whatsoever

Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 AM
nfisher

If you swapped out the stock cam, found someone to manufacture a head for a Powertech V6(maybe KRC Performance since they have all kinds of cool sht for our V6, air intake + headers/muffler, valves (and springs), rockers, ported (not much you could do, but try with lmt porting material in the block!), and everything you could only dream you could get done to the 3.7L- you could then expect your motor to be strong enough to run a lot of boost- so if you were able to modify the STS turbo for the hemi (as recently posted- I'm a skeptic until someone does it... unlikely, right?), you could tune to whatever PSI you'd like to try until you did blow up the motor... 750+ HP?? I don't know, that's a lot but that would be one crazy V6...

I'm really thinking about going and getting a loan... and installing the universal STS turbo that runs in replacement of the muffler. $3000 EVERYTHING included in the turbo kit except the piping) so plus local pipe shop work and tuning ($1500), that's doable. I'm thinking 6-8psi on stock engine components (but with typical bolt on stuff...headers, muffler, TB, air intake- just worked out the stock "aspiration" issues), won't hurt the motor or cause any problems. What do you think? I'm hoping that's safe and can rescue this truck from its weight issues and lack of torque. The V6 just isn't enough for the size of the truck... but workin on that.

And oh yeah, as you ALWAYS say over and over again, gears (4:56 posi, right?!), this universal turbo could be like only $4500 away... but then in the back of my mind... is it really worth it? We can't get anything for our trucks now. no trade in value to upgrade... maybe a fledgling buyers market for smaller engined full size trucks hoping for better fuel economy but with a workable towing capacity (oh how naive I was expecting 16 mpgs... I am currently at 13mpg)... maybe we can dupe those people and get rid of the weak truck for a good price... or suck it up (haha, a little bummed about my recent purchase) and figure out some cool sht for it, which is the route I'm taking!

Last edited by nfisher; 08-08-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Big#44
Professional

Your going to need a lot more then just the bolt up turbo kit if you want your truck to last. your going to injectors, and a FIC of some sort so you dont lean out the motor and blow it up. in all honesty if this motor could hit 300 to the wheels i would be impressed and scared that its going to blow!! lol. the thing is chrysler dynoed these engines to the crank with no accessories attached to the motor, so you might be lucky to get to 200 HP to the wheels.

the smartest thing you guys could do would be to wire in an AEM FIC and tune it in for better gas mileage. of course that requires knowledge to tune.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

keep your truck as a slightly fast v6.

and, go get that car's you've had ins torage for 4 years and make that the powerhorse.

that's what i did =)

Old 08-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Redbud66
Professional

lol, trust me the last thing I would ever do would be to put any kind of turbo on the truck. I hate turbos and can barely stand super chargers. I was just asking cause I had nothing better to do, I have no intrest in anything past an intake, exhaust, and maybe a chip.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:03 PM
nfisher

aw that sucks man. have you ever driven a turbo or supercharged vehicle, truck or car? If so, you wouldn't want a safe torque increase on your truck? If you felt it was affordable and safe, why not do it?

300 RWHP... you don't think that's possible without blowing the motor? 300 shouldn't blow the motor. I'm not sure you could get 300HP from 8psi anyhow. And besides, a lot of what I've gathered regarding stock set ups and adding turbos is that it's the massive amount of low end torque that's generated from adding a turbo, when used/tuned inappropriately, that will cause the most damage to the motor... not the power (hp) increase (and I understand that torque and HP are related... but there's a difference between wanting to increase HP and wanting to increase tq).

anyway, there's a lot of skepticism when discussing turbocharging the 3.7L. I'm not stupid, the skepticism makes me worried that I am about to destroy my truck if adding STS' univ kit. But there seems to be just as many people out there with the opinion that 6-8psi should provide enough power/torque to help alleviate the 3.7L's sluggish nature without damaging stock engine components. In the end, got to figure something out for it.

gears... yeah I hear you again... and again. gears are a certainty.

one day... dream project car... chevelle! dunno if you guys like the chevelle, I guess that should be left for another forum! that'll be like another decade, and who knows where the fuel crises will take us... by then Uncle Sam might step in and curtail a lot of the mods we hope to do.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Big#44
Professional

Originally Posted by Redbud66
lol, trust me the last thing I would ever do would be to put any kind of turbo on the truck. I hate turbos and can barely stand super chargers. I was just asking cause I had nothing better to do, I have no intrest in anything past an intake, exhaust, and maybe a chip.
and let me ask you why do you hate turbos, and then barely stand superchargers?

Old 08-09-2008, 03:11 AM
Redbud66
Professional

I just don't think that they are practical unless they are on a diesel or being used on a race track. Otherwise they only cause added stress to the engine and reduce your gas mileage, plus I don't like the sound of a turbo but that is just personal opinion.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Big#44
Professional

Originally Posted by Redbud66
I just don't think that they are practical unless they are on a diesel or being used on a race track. Otherwise they only cause added stress to the engine and reduce your gas mileage, plus I don't like the sound of a turbo but that is just personal opinion.
as far as sound. i cant argue with you. thats your opinion. as far as practicality? my caliber srt4 can get better gas mileage then the calibers with no turbo. and thats also comparing a 2.4L turbo to a much smaller 1.8L. and 2.0L. i could probably bet that if you threw a turbo on the 3.7L dodge, that your mileage will not change unless it goes up.

turbo charged 4 cylinders are the future of cars. ive heard rumors of them putting one in the new camaro, because you can still get plenty of power, and over 20 mpg. big V8's are dying. its sad but true. my csrt puts down 280 hp to the wheels and i think between 260 - 270 ft lbs of torque. thats v8 territory. show me a v8 that can put down those numbers and get 30 mpg on the highway.

Quick Reply: Bored and Curious