3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Bikemonkeys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel locks

I just bought a 2008 Ram. While driving through my neighborhood I noticed a Ram that looked just like mine save for the color on bricks with the wheels missing. Looked like who ever took the wheels were nice enough to place the rotors on the bricks. A car on bricks looks out of place in a sub-divison with rules against it.

I don't know if they had the factory wheel locks, but are the factory ones any good? I have the factory wheel locks, but if I need to get new ones, they'd surely be cheaper than even one new wheel.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:43 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

umm i'm not sure but i don't think that there is such thing as factory wheel locks.but anyways if they wabt it bad enough there is no amount of security thats gonna stop them from taking it....

Old 08-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Vandersnoot
Professional

Wheel locks cost like $25-35 bucks.......Just get a set of aftermarket

Old 08-09-2008, 01:12 AM
ramjamhemi
Professional

I bought a set of the McGard wheel locks sold by the stealership for the Ram trucks. I got them on ebay for a great price. These are great quality locks with a tamper sleeve on them that will not allow the locks to be removed by hammering on a socket. Good quality chrome that will hopefully not rust that the chinese crap at Autozone. I bought cheap locks for my Dakota about a year ago, and they are already rusting and the key feature is looking pretty banged up and I only have taken the wheels off twice!

spend the money and get the good stuff, especially if you have the nice chrome wheels.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:21 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

+1 on the "if they want it they will take it". All locks do are to keep honest people honest. You can break into anything. Plus, a lot of those devices have universal keys, you buy a set and you can unlock anyones wheel with the same brand lock.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Jeffylee
Rookie

These Gorilla's are the ones I bought with my new rims and tires. I'm not sure how good they are compared to others. Like others basically said if what someone does is steal rims for a living they're going to steal your rims.

I thought about buying something different but I don't know if it would be worth it.

Last edited by Jeffylee; 04-12-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO...a good set of wheel locks are worth it. It stops any kid with a wrench from stealing your wheels.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:38 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My 08 Ram came with the factory McGuard locks in the glovebox. I put them on the first day.

Quick Reply: Wheel locks