3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, Wix are great, I try to use either a Wix, Mobil 1 or Purolator. I've read good reports on the K&N's but have not used one yet, same with Amsoil, but they are just a pain to get.

Just stay the hell away from Fram, every independent report I've ever read says they are junk...

Old 08-09-2008, 12:56 AM
texas_rebel_1980
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that goes right along with everything i've heard about every brand you mentioned. wix it be then!

Old 08-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running Amsoil, and the difference was noticeable. Got a slight increase in fuel economy (I drive in stop & go traffic and have a heavy right shoe) and the engine just feels smoother through the rev range. And changing every 5000 miles beats every 3000.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently use Amzoil in my truck, and have since I was past the break in period.
My drain intervals are at 7500 miles now, with a filter change in between. The oil is darker but it is still clear.

If you've ever had an engine apart after thousands of miles of synthetic compared to dino oil, you'll be convinced---run the synthetic, it lubricates better, and maintains tolerances (compression) far longer. It also maintains viscosity better, meaning its easier to start, and doesn't get as thin--hot--as dino oil, and doesn't leave all the coking deposits (carbon and dirt) on all the engine internals---just ask MMSTAR how that goes----he learned the hard way.

If you're starting with a new engine, after the breaking period, go with synthetic, stay with synthetic----unless you don't care about the condition of the engine guts.

If you're changing from dino to synthetic in an old engine, start flushing the engine with something like Sea Foam, changing the oil once a week until it comes out clean---like new looking---then change to synthetic.

Change the synthetic out every 1000 miles until it comes out clean--then run it for the standard change intervals.

The synthetic will clean out all the old sludge very rapidly, you just want to get it out of there before it plugs everything up.--Again, just ask MMSTAR--how that goes--

Old 08-09-2008, 08:31 AM
ANTCAP3
Thumbs up Thanks

Hey everyone thanks for your input. You have been very helpful once again.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Heminator2
Rookie

Right now I have 22,000 miles on my SSO 0W/30 Amsoil, which is a 35,000 mile synthetic. I just checked the oil level yesterday and the oil color still looks good, oil level in on the full line, and oil smells good. I have used Amsoil for many years, getting 502,000 miles on a Dodge Lancer ES 2.5 turbo engine. Changed the turbo out one time, but nothing else but plugs and timing belt when required. We still have our old 99 Ram 360 with 207,000 miles on it and it runs great, no smoke, no nothing. We kept it as it had so many miles on it that trading it would have been a joke.
Name:  3771711-1.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  16.5 KB

Quick Reply: Oil question