3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water spots

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 PM
CJD312
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water spots

Hey guys. I know this isn't a truck specific question but I figured who better to ask. my 07 QC has horrible water spots on all the windows. I"ve tried everything i could think of the try and pull them out but nothing seems to work. The only thing to even help a little bit was a few hours with the clay bar but that only got me so far. I've tried windex, soap scum remover and and even tried the old tale of vinegar. None of this even came close. Anyone have and tricks to getting this stuff out?

Old 08-09-2008, 10:16 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I use Invisible Glass with newspaper...works for me. I don't have bad water spots though..

Old 08-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Ox2500Hemi
Amateur

Same problem here ... except I got 'um on the paint and glass. It's so bad on the paint that I can run my finger nail across the spots and fell the edges.

For the glass ... I found a "cure" & it worked, but made me nervous so I only did a spot on mine. Anyway ... take 000 or 0000 steel wool and a spray bottle filled with soapy water; keep the steel wool wet and lightly rub the water spots (on the glass) in a circular motion. That will take care of 'um but you run the risk of getting to aggresive and scratching the glass.

I'll be making an appointment with a professional detailer soon ...

Old 08-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Der Schatten

use ultra fine steel wool on the outside of the windows with your favorite window cleaner and dry them with newspaper. it won't scratch the glass, but will remove the water spots. i used to own a detail company and do this on all my cars... if it's safe to use on a BMW 540, E320 blutec, kingranch f-250, and a QC ram, then it'll be fine on your windows.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:55 PM
TheTransporter

I had some water spots that took a little elbow grease to get out too. Once I got the windows cleared I keep them clean with invisible glass and they haven't popped back up yet.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 PM
tanker001

I wouldn't want to get it on the paint cause I wouldn't know what it would do but something like CLR might help. I would put some on a rag and wipe the spots. The water spots come from the minerals in the water that are left behind after the water evaporates. CLR is made to remove that junk. I have used it to clean the mineral deposits off my shower and shower heads. I haven't tried it on auto glass though and would try testing it somewhere. It would make since that it would work. The commercial I saw on TV for it they used it to clean the white crap out of a glass coffee pot.

Has anyone tried this?

Old 08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the problem also but i think its because my water here is just so d@m$ hard...i found that.... (this sounds kinda funny)but,i wash my truck in the rain(light rain) and i don't have the water spots.i know,i know theres an easier way to do it but when you don't have alot of time this does the trick for me

Old 08-10-2008, 06:51 PM
TheTransporter

Originally Posted by tanker001
I wouldn't want to get it on the paint cause I wouldn't know what it would do but something like CLR might help. I would put some on a rag and wipe the spots. The water spots come from the minerals in the water that are left behind after the water evaporates. CLR is made to remove that junk. I have used it to clean the mineral deposits off my shower and shower heads. I haven't tried it on auto glass though and would try testing it somewhere. It would make since that it would work. The commercial I saw on TV for it they used it to clean the white crap out of a glass coffee pot.

Has anyone tried this?
That would work I've seen it used on boating/marine glass but I'm curious what it would do to the tints on the rear windows.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Smokinbbl

I have also read that those white mr. Clean miracle sponges work, also try Rain-ex it worked for my truck

Old 08-12-2008, 01:26 AM
rebelfkag31039

well what about the paint? i got a blue 2003 QC in Surprise, Az and i've got bad water spots on the paint and tried clay bar and waxing, didnt work. i want to hear some opinions before washing my truck with CLR...lol

Quick Reply: Water spots