3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water spots

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Ox2500Hemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Der Schatten
use ultra fine steel wool on the outside of the windows with your favorite window cleaner and dry them with newspaper. it won't scratch the glass, but will remove the water spots. i used to own a detail company and do this on all my cars... if it's safe to use on a BMW 540, E320 blutec, kingranch f-250, and a QC ram, then it'll be fine on your windows.
Tried the steel wool on mine again yesturday ... with some really hard scrubbing, I could get the spot to "lighten up" a bit, but the ring was still there. With some really, really, hard scrubbing, I could get the rings to disappear, but on the the concentrated area I was working on. Doing this all over would be an arm breaker!

Originally Posted by rebelfkag31039
well what about the paint? i got a blue 2003 QC in Surprise, Az and i've got bad water spots on the paint and tried clay bar and waxing, didnt work. i want to hear some opinions before washing my truck with CLR...lol
On my paint too ... best I've found out is it'll need to be taken to a detailer and have a "cut 'n glaze" done. This actually takes a little clear coat off though.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Ben D.
Champion

if you have water spots that can be felt with your finger on the paint it does need to be taken to a detailer and be polished. You could do it yourself but the equipment would cost a bit. you would need a few polish producst from a compound on up to a glaze as well as a Orbital polisher... the nice thing is you really arn't gonna hurt the paint with an orbital.... you would have to be a dumbass gorilla to actually burn through the paint with a random orbital polisher.. such as a porter cable 7424 or the sonus UDM

Old 08-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Heminator2
Rookie

I used a Zaino clay bar and got all mine off and then put Zaino products on the surface. Spots are gone and have a fantastic shine.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:24 PM
frobo

I have had some good results with a household cleaner called "ZUD" never used it on paint but it works well on windows with water spots.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:13 PM
waynofish
Rookie

When I wax my truck I wax the windows as well. With a little pressure it takes the spots off. If the spotting is really bad a cleaner wax with a little more pressure will probably be needed. I use it on the boats I work on all the time and it really helps. Of course to keep the spots off the windows must be chammied(sp?) everytime you wash the truck.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:59 PM
CJD312

Well heres the update... Finally bit the bullet and tried the 000 steel wool with the cleaner and it did nothing.... Didn't scratch the windows but with about fifteen minutes of scrubbing on one window there was no change. I'm starting to think the only option would be to replace all the windows and thats not happening. Is there anything a professional detailer could do that i couldn't... Glass polish or something?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:18 PM
mroy2496

I have heard that if you put straight vinegar on a rag and let it sit on the window the acid in the vinegar will take them out. I had them on my old car and took it to a detail shop and that is the only thing that worked on it. Just dont put the rag on the paint!!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 PM
nash211

Maguires also has a spray that works very well, but the least expensive way is vinegar as stated.

nash

Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Ox2500Hemi
Amateur

Originally Posted by CJD312
Well heres the update... Finally bit the bullet and tried the 000 steel wool with the cleaner and it did nothing.... Didn't scratch the windows but with about fifteen minutes of scrubbing on one window there was no change. I'm starting to think the only option would be to replace all the windows and thats not happening. Is there anything a professional detailer could do that i couldn't... Glass polish or something?
Take it to a reputable Auto Setailer and have them do a glass polish job ... that's my plan anyway.

Quick Reply: Water spots