3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Door Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 PM
pcollins
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Rattling

Hey guys... So I have been debating posting this topic for a while now, and just today I thought, "What the hell". Anyways, For the past few months (that I have payed attention to it), I have noticed that my doors "rattle" really bad while driving. Any small bump or groove in the road and my doors sound like they are starting a band.

Is there anything that can be done to quiet this, or does anyone know what it is that could be rattling? The only things I could think of are: the pop-up lock thingie, the speakers, or the handle... all of which I doubt there is a solution for.

This is driving me NUTS and I cant figure out how to fix it haha.

P.S.- Still have the stock suspension and shocks, and also the original Goodyear Wranglers (blah).

Thanks

Old 08-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Mancunian
Rookie

Check your speakers. I put a new head unit in a few days ago and was plagued with a crackling speaker in one door so tonight I took the door panel off to find that the previous owner had added Sony Xploder speakers and used a connector (like from Crutchfield) but he hadn't insulated the terminals or tied up the wires so the connector was rattling against the doors and occasionally shorting the speaker. I checked the other three doors and they were all the same. Speakers sound great now. It makes you wonder what some people have in their heads instead of brains......

I must say that the door panels are really easy to remove and the door handle (on the inside at least) is very well attached with a 10mm hex head screw.

Steve

Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 PM
pcollins
Veteran

I will take off the door panels and see whats up. I was just wondering if anyone has a solution, assuming that its not a loose speaker, etc.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Helmuthead
Default try this

I to have an 05 and the same problem. After an extensive search I found that they rattle more when the windows are up tight and the point of rattle was the top plastic inside piece. The spot you would rest your arm when driving with windows down and it was on both sides. When you drive have another in the passenger seat press down on these area's, you would do it when driving on the driver side, to see if this is the spot/problem. What I did was popped that piece off of the window track at the top and stuffed strips of foam padding into the area to absorb the rattle and expand the opening. It worked well. Just do not pack it around the door open pin for it will restrict the movment up and down.

Rattle **** me off.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Helmuthead
... Rattle **** me off.
Man, ya got that right. Rattles, squeaks, bitching wives, J/K :-) Anyway, just to start a new thread, what's the worst? For me -- styrofoam ice chest on a vinyl car seat. What say you?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 PM
pcollins
Veteran

Originally Posted by Helmuthead
I to have an 05 and the same problem. After an extensive search I found that they rattle more when the windows are up tight and the point of rattle was the top plastic inside piece. The spot you would rest your arm when driving with windows down and it was on both sides. When you drive have another in the passenger seat press down on these area's, you would do it when driving on the driver side, to see if this is the spot/problem. What I did was popped that piece off of the window track at the top and stuffed strips of foam padding into the area to absorb the rattle and expand the opening. It worked well. Just do not pack it around the door open pin for it will restrict the movment up and down.

Rattle **** me off.
Thanks for the input Helmut... I will give that a try. I also may put some sort of "felt" around the door locks so they wont rattle against the plastic holes they fit into.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:17 PM
bblevins
Default Rattler

A "rattle" is kind of a hard thing to convey in a forum...

I just bought a 2005 QC 1500 Lonestar Hemi. The driver's door sounded like it was not closed all of the way when I hit bumps. If this is the rattle you are hearing then loosen the bolts on the striker a bit. Once the bolts are loose slide the striker towards the inside of the cab and then tighten them back up.

Make little adjustments until the "rattle" is gone. You will need a T-17 Torx socket and a socket wrench.

Hope that helps

Old 08-25-2008, 08:06 PM
pcollins
Veteran

After riding in the truck a bit more, it sounds like the noise is coming from where the driver's side door panel and the dash board plastic "meet". I tried to pry my hand in between there while I was driving to put pressure on it, but it still made the sound. It almost sounds as if something inside that crappy dash plastic is loose or maybe the dash isnt securely tightened. I have no idea what to do about it though.

Quick Reply: Door Rattling