3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stolen Dodge Ram's (Easy Theft)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:28 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts
Default RE: Stolen Dodge Ram's (Easy Theft)

ORIGINAL: Snafu

I usually wire a relay to the hot lead from the ignition coil and/or the fuel pump relay, and hide a trigger switch somewhere. Truck will crank over all day long but never fire without spark or fuel.
we have a winner! we did that with our '65 mustang, worked wonders. Now that i kbnow bout the theft problem, might do that to the ram too....hell, do it while we're hacking the exhaust apart while we're down there once the warantee's void..lol. Definately a great cheap idea. Now where to put the switch is the hard question.

And it helps to hae 3 motion sensing flood lights on the house for sure. So does having a doberman (my arm will attest to the statement of "a dog's bark is worse than it's bite" as being false..)

Old 03-06-2005, 10:07 PM
goodestuff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had mine stolen yet, but this tuesday, we are getting the viper system in it. I'm getting the remote start so when its cold outside it will already be running (love it). The viper system installed and equipment is $360.00 out the door. That's pretty good. Viper has a 5 year warrenty on there system and the installers have a lifetime warrenty.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:40 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

I havent had my truck stolen or broken into, of course I never leave my truck for too long and it stays in the garage, so its fairly difficult to get at it without alert me and the 9mm. But when I do leave it for too long parked somewhere, I just take the fuel pump relay with me, I wont go anywhere without that unless they use a tow truck...

Old 03-08-2005, 11:59 AM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, what system of Viper did you get for your Ram? I was thinking about getting some sort of pager. Did you install it yourself?

Old 03-08-2005, 02:08 PM
goodestuff

We have a company called Nortons doing the installing, but the viper with 2 remotes & remote starter was only $360.00. That's everything. I will have to get back to you about the model number since I'm getting it done today. I will let you know though ok.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:21 AM
bullitt1229
Professional

This is the one I got. Out the door was $360. The only bad thing is that it only comes with one remote, but I bought another one on ebay.

http://www.viper.com/security/viper/...nder.asp#791XV

Old 03-09-2005, 01:31 PM
WingViper
All Star

So the system has a built in starter kill if the car is broken into? The 791 was one I had been looking at after I saw your post. Had any problems with it? How is the sensitivity?

Old 03-09-2005, 03:57 PM
jr

I had a 96 Ram 1500 before I bought a 2003 Ram 1500 hemi.It was broken into 3 times and the only thing that kept the truck was a kill switch wired to the ign.On the 2003 the swith is wired to the ground side of the starter relay under the hodd & hidden where they can't spend the time to locate it.This also saves your Starter!

Old 03-09-2005, 04:38 PM
goodestuff

The model was a 560. It came with 2 remotes, starter kill, remote starter, and also if someone opens my hood with the alarm on the engine automatically turns off. Its really cool. The only thing that was bad it took them from 9:00 a.m. until 3:45 p.m. and my husband had to stay with it.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:58 AM
jayskynr
Veteran

i have the responder system on my 2003 and it is workin just fine. read all teh instructions about the alarm and remote to understand that the remote itself has many other features other than lock,unlock,aux, and the yellow button. btw: unless u want your truck cranking every 3 hours and running til it automatically cuts off , DO NOT press the lock/unlock button @ the same time . press the yellow button 2x to remote start the vehicle. if you do use the lock/unlock button the only way to take it out of timer start is to remote start it , put the key in the ign. and turn it to the on position and press the brake to disarm the system. i learned this the hard way when i didnt drive my truck for 2 days and my mom called every 3 hrs to tell me my truck was runnin again. i work 30 miles away from home and its kinda hard to leave just to take care of this problem , and it wasnt til i read the book that i understood why it was doin this. other than that i love the viper system. its the 3rd ive had on the same amount of vehicles and will have 1 on every 1 after this one.

Quick Reply: Stolen Dodge Ram's (Easy Theft)