3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stolen Dodge Ram's (Easy Theft)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 02:43 PM
jh88718
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen Dodge Ram's (Easy Theft)

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum and I just bought a Hemi quad cab with the 20's, leather, and sunroof. I only had it for 5 hours and drove it 25 miles before it was stolen. Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Any sugestions on how to prevent this from happening again. They found the truck in detroit missing the wheels with no gas left in it. They drove it and ditched it. I am planing to put an alarm on the vehicle but I heard this won't deter the thievs from f..king up my door locks. Any suggestions will be apreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2005, 03:45 PM
bullitt1229
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stolen Dodge Ram's (Easy Theft)

Other than putting an alarm on it, the only other thing I can think of doing is putting lo-jack on it. The latter won't prevent theives from stealing your truck again, but if it does get stolen then at least the authorities will be able to find it relatively quick. How did they manage to break into your truck? I had mine for about a year before someone tried to break into mine. They jammed something into the key hole and tried to break the entire door handle off, and in the process dented my truck near the bottom of the door handle. I decided after that to get an alarm. Everyone on this site suggested Viper, so I went with the top of the line Viper 791XV. I have had it about 2 months and so far have had no problems with it. Good luck getting your truck back into one piece.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:00 PM
jh88718

The trucks are very easy to break into. I went to the tow yard and they had hundreds of dodge vehicles that were stolen. Dodge is the worst company for vehicle theft. Chrysler does not care about protecting their customers according to the informatio that I have atained during this whole deal. All it takes is a flat head screwdriver right under the door handle and they are in the vehicle just like having a key. The police in Detroit see so many of these trucks that they don't even try to find the theif.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Beastmaker
Rookie

Sorry about the situation, it's terrible. But (I can't resist), shouldn't your signature say "2005 QC Hemi w/o wheels"?

(ok, ok, forgive me please)[&o]

Old 01-29-2005, 11:25 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has to be a way to re-wire the ignition power to make it difficult for them to get the truck started. No power = no run.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:56 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

12 gauge shotgun...1 ounce slugs...wait wait wait

seriously tho

disconnecting the battery? wouldnt it not start? but yea a viper alarm and lojack

Old 01-31-2005, 02:40 PM
jh88718

Thanks for the input. I am definately buying A DEI Viper alarm and a column lock. As for home protection, I will have to get my pitbull and 9mm ready for when the new motion sensors go off at night time. As forn the W/O wheels comment......That's funny but I have new wheels and tires on order. Take care and good luck with your Hemi's.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Snafu

I usually wire a relay to the hot lead from the ignition coil and/or the fuel pump relay, and hide a trigger switch somewhere. Truck will crank over all day long but never fire without spark or fuel. I used to do that with the starter, that is an instant tip to the crook to look for a kill switch. If the truck is cranking but not starting, at least it's making noise which draws attention. And it's not quite as obvious to the crook right away.

Old 01-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

On a lot of new cars they have a fuel shut off switch in the trunk so that if someone hits you in the rear the fuel is shut off .I don't know if the truck has one or not but it may be the answer to your problem.Just don't tell anyone where you put it. I guess that I better check with my dealer to see if I have one and where it is.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:08 AM
Chrome Hemi

Sorry to here about so many Rams getting lifted. Although I agree with ramfan5.9, I prefer copper coated buckshot. Smooth in, quick out, makes them bleed out a lot. Seriously though, a viper alarm sounds great. However, you might want to consider a lock bar for your brake arm instead of the steering wheel. I have heard thieves can remove the steering wheel completely and remove the lock. The brake pedal arm is the strongest piece on a vehicle. No gas pedal means no go go. Just my opinion. Hope everything is back together now!

Quick Reply: Stolen Dodge Ram's (Easy Theft)