3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 ram steering wheel leather junk

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:22 PM
1930u
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heminator2
What have you been using to clean and preserve the leather on the wheel. Our skin and sweat contains acid and will deteriorate leather, that's fact. I clean mine with Zaino leather cleaner and then put on their leather treatment and after three years, it still looks new. Your cutting your nose off spite your face.
I clean mine using a bar of ivory soap and water and leather magic conditoner. My truck has 34000 miles on it 16000 being highway miles. It's not like I've wrestled it around town like a taxi cab. Otherwise it's in a climate controlled shop 55- 75 degrees year round with no direct sun.

As for the acid comment I'm not sure you're correct. I do know in the tanning process lime is used to remove the hair from the pelt. That raises the PH. The hide is then pickled and soaked in salt brine. The acidity is controlled by adding acid to adjust the pH to about 3. This helps the tanning agents soak into the hide.

I suspect this is the part of the process that is causing the steering wheel leather to fail. Apparently the leather used in the steering wheel covers was not treated properly. Possibly your wheel was covered with properly prepared and treated leather. Bottomline our skin should not cause it to deteriorate and Dodge should stand behind their failed products.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Proper maintenance does wonders for all parts...bottom line you should treat the leather wheel like you treat leather seats. I'm guilty of it too....9k miles on my truck and I haven't cleaned/condtioned the wheel yet. But i'm doing it this weekend thanks to this thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:21 PM
1930u

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Proper maintenance does wonders for all parts...bottom line you should treat the leather wheel like you treat leather seats. I'm guilty of it too....9k miles on my truck and I haven't cleaned/condtioned the wheel yet. But i'm doing it this weekend thanks to this thread
I wish you luck with your steering wheel. Even though mine was taken care of it is still failing. Unfortunately...Dodge refuses to take care of there customers. At the first sign of wear get it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: 05 ram steering wheel leather junk