3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hell bent or top gun custom leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM
caliboy@heart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LinerJoe
So has anyone had the wobbling issues in 4wd? I am going back and forth on the HBS vs. TGC kit. I'm also going back and forth on 2" vs. 2.5".

Does the extra half inch cause any issues over the 2"? I'm just curious why they make both.

The HBS is $75 (from their website + shipping). The TGZ is $91.95 (free shipping from their website).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

joe

do you have a website for these kits? i tried to find it but google didnt have anything.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Shandy

Does TGC have a kit for the 2008 1500 4x2? I can't find it on their website... Anyone know? Thanks.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

topguncustomz.com
hellbentsteel.com

i am not sure if they have a 4x2 leveling kit . you could call or email them and see if the 4x4 one will work.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:14 PM
txj
Rookie

Originally Posted by ****yhern
I havent noticed any problems, havent used 4x4 yet but ill go find some mud to play in and let ya know....
if you have any shuddering issues you will not notice them playing in the mud. I didn't notice mine until I was on a snow covered flat road. Going down a bumpy trail I couldn't tell.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

after reading a few other posts, I think I will go with the 2" lift. I have run it in 4wd once and I didn't have any issue, but we haven't had any snow yet.

Joe

Old 11-25-2008, 06:28 PM
txj
Rookie
Default update

the dealer clocked/indexed the front drive shaft. in a quick road test the shudder is less, but still there and still not right. Now it's only really bad while accellerating, coasting it's almost gone, and cruising it's mild.

I'll be removing the 2.5" leveling kit next week and installing the 2" kit to see how it is then. I'm hoping that will solve my problems.

i read this on the readylift site

Disclaimer:
Due to a design issue with Dodge Ram front differential and suspension, some owners may experience a vibration in the front end when in 4x4 mode, or a shaking vibration of the front wheels when going over a bump at speed. These two symptoms are often called a “death wobble”, but actually appear to be two different problems with the Ram truck.

The 4x4 only mode vibration is an issue that occurs when in 4x4 high mode. Dodge couldn’t discover why their stock trucks would do this for some customers. The solution for Dodge was to state that there is no problem
and that all of the new Rams will shudder or shake when in 4x4 high. This symptom appears isolated to 2008 model trucks and when in 4-hi mode but can occur in earlier models.

The steering wobble or vibration has to do with the steering/ball joint equipment. Dodge had released TSBs on this problem - Daimler Technical Service Bulletin # 22-005-06

In either case, it has become apparent that raising or lifting the front of the Dodge Ram pickup may amplify these existing OEM problems. In some cases the symptoms exist on non-modified stock vehicles.

It is ReadyLift Suspension’s position that if you have installed a 66-1090 or 66-1020 kit onto your Dodge Ram truck and experience either of the two symptoms mentioned, IMMEDIATELY HAVE THE LEVELING KIT REMOVED FROM THE VEHICLE!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Well, I have a 2007, so hopefully I will be safe. Keep us informed of the 2.5 down to 2" conversion. I am very curious to see if it makes any difference.

joe

Old 11-25-2008, 08:57 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

I have a tuff country kit and i'm fine i have been in 4x4 and no issues i'm actually goint to add another bolt on leveling kit soon so I guess we will see how that works out.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:42 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on the procomp 2.5" and it was easy but I didnt get the alignment right away and ended up blowing out the upper strut mount bushings and now im left with the most annoying squeak.. Im guessin its the lack of alignment that did it!! The only time its been in 4x4 was on trails and I cant tell if its shuddering.. Ill try it out on the street tomorrow night and see if the truck shakes..

Old 11-27-2008, 12:01 PM
txj
Rookie

i spent an hour on the phone with Chrysler yesterday... they want me to bring it back to the dealer for a 3rd time. The notified the dealer that they want them to look at something else.

The service manager is a family friend, turns out. So he is helping me out in my dealings with Chrysler.

I am going to talk to the dealer about trading my truck back towards a 2500 and getting away from the 1500 altogether.

Quick Reply: Hell bent or top gun custom leveling kit