3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:10 PM
marv02
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can''t get them t fix the truck where you are happy with it I know in CA there is the BAR ( Bural of Automotive Repair) sick the on them or just tell them you are going to talk to them about what's going on there get off there AS"'" and fix it

I purchased a used truck from a Dodge dealer 7 years ago It was Ford it blew a plug out of the head the truck had bigger tires and a lift kit when I pruchased from them, Chrysler try to say the warennty was no good becuse of the lift and bigger tires they were not going to fix the truck at first untill I started talking about the Bar and I was going to sue them and Iwanted all my money back and stick this truck up there you know what They fixed it.

I sold the Ford because of MPG was that a mistake doing that should of kep that truck.

Sometimes you have to play ard ball to get them to fix it.

I like my Dodge truck But I been Thinking I just mite go back to a Ford after this at least there factory warennties are great and there tran's are not know fall out of the bottem of there trucks or there rear end falling apart, But Fords due have there own set of problems but I much rather deal with them.

My truck s a 2006 got it new and after reading what I going to look foward to I will not keep ths truc fr he lon haul thats for sure. When I trade it in It will be most likly a FORD.

I not much of a GM person we purchased my wife a Buick last year It's be one problem after anouther before the last GM I ownned was a new 1995 Pontiac it spent more time in the shop than I drove it last time It came out of the shop It was traded in the same night for a Ford I had the Pontiac for 6 months.
I have been driving Fords from 1995 to 2006 oh Yea I traded my old Dodge power wagon in for thay POS Pontiac I wish I still had that war wagon Power Wagon never let me down was not pretty truck but it was there for you every time you needed it.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:36 PM
explorer9950
Veteran

humm..that sounds familiar as well...Dodge personnel saying, "it's normal, you've just never heard it before." I was told that just about a week ago when I had that weird shifting/brake/jerking issue in my ram. The guy from the dealership took a ride with me to see if he can hear it, and he gave me all this BS about how its normal and with my bigger tires it could cause it. I had the tires for at least 8 or 9 months, and have never heard this thing before, and have had the truck for nearly 2 years now. He basically said it was all in my head, but my girlfriend sure could feel the difference with the jerking and brake type motions. But what can ya do??!!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:07 PM
edk2002
Exclamation

Dude that sounds alot like a valve body problem either shutel valve or ball valve blow through the retaining plate

Old 09-13-2008, 08:15 AM
explorer9950
Veteran
Cool

you know what!? i took my truck up for a recall not to long ago, and guess what it was for!?? the ball valves for the tires! I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Although the truck has done this before I had the ball valves replaced???

Old 09-14-2008, 01:44 PM
edk2002

no man im talking about the ball valves in the transmission valve body

Old 09-14-2008, 05:22 PM
explorer9950
Veteran
Question

shoot, i dont know...i dont know what to tell the dealership guys, because right now, the truck is fine and normal, but it's gonna happen again so..i dont know??

Old 09-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Kdarmy

Another follow up since my meeting with the General manager on Friday (12th)....

Its now the 17th...Would you believe I have not heard one word from them at all !!!

You would think they would have called after all the crap I've gone through with them at this point at have at least told me whats going on... Incredible!

Its now been over a month since I took it in...

Keith

Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Kdarmy

Oops, double post...

Last edited by Kdarmy; 09-17-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Oops, double post...
Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Kdarmy

9-19-08, Friday

Just over one month since I took my truck in for service, It is now back home in my garage.

It all came down to the pawl gear in the transmission tail shaft assembly. They say it has a natural wobble to it which was causing it to make contact with the assembly housing.

The fix was to install a slightly thicker retaining clip to take up the slop in it thus stopping it from making contact and making the noise which is the reason it went back to the dealership to begin with.

So all seems to be ok for now, I just hope it stays that way!

I hope that this post & info helps someone else in the future to avoid all the BS that I had to go through.

Kindest Regards,
Keith

Last edited by Kdarmy; 09-21-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Kdarmy
Thumbs up

Update: 10-7-08

Just wanted to let you all know that Dodge's last repair on my truck still seems to be working! Far as I can tell I no longer hear any noise anymore.

I hope all this info helps someone else when it is needed, I sure wish I had it when I first had to take mine in.

Regards,
Keith

Quick Reply: Trans Problem!!!