3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear windwows tinted w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Jeffylee
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear windwows tinted w/ pics

I tinted my rear and rear side windows. They already had a factory tint but it wasn't very dark. I've tinted at least one window in pretty much every vehicle I've ever owned (around 12) but I'm no pro. Some worked out great some not so great.

Anyway, the rear window was average with a little swearing but it ended up looking good. My surprise was the rear side windows. They ended up being so easy and look great. After about 30 minutes of cutting the sheet close to the size of the window, trying to tape it to the window and trimming it I said "f' it, I'm taking the window out". The total time for the first one out, tinted and back in was about 45 minutes and the other took about 30 minutes.

I've seen lots of posts with people saying not to try doing it yourself but if your thinking of doing it just go for it. If it doesn't work out you're only out 25 bucks or so. If it does you've saved at least $100.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:18 AM
mackie

Looks decent... what did you learn out of the experience or what should someone thinking about doing it know ahead of time?

How hard was it to remove the glass from the door? I planned on replacing the rear speakers soon so I could always tint the glass while everything is exposed.

Cheers

Old 08-16-2008, 11:06 AM
HEMIslide
Rookie

That looks good...How long did that little project take?

-slide

Old 08-16-2008, 11:34 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Looks good man...any tips you can give us about laying tint?

Old 08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Jeffylee
Rookie

Well as far as what know ahead of time is to very careful removing the two nuts that hold the glass to the lift rail. You have to raise/lower the window a bit to get the nuts to where you can get at them through one of the little holes in the door panel. They are small openings and if your luck is like mine you'll drop at least one nut inside the door never to be seen again. Or maybe your socket also. Luckily I had a spare nut that was the right size and correct thread. The hardest part was sliding the glass back in and getting the bolts in the glass through the holes in the rail. I did it myself but it would be nice to have a second person to raise and lower the window as needed from the drivers seat.

As far as the actual tinting besides following the directions that came with it I spray a lot of solution that you can get at Auto Zone or other places on the glass and a little on the back of the tint after the backing has been removed so that when you stick it on the glass you hopefully have a little time to slide it around if you don't have it on correctly. But by doing that you have a lot more liquid to push out to the edges of the tint. You can buy different types of squeegees to push out the bubbles and tinting solution but what works best for me is a credit card. You just have to be a little careful not to scratch the tint. A second person would be nice to help peel the backing off the tint so it doesn't fold over and stick to itself. Don't do it in the wind.

- Lower the rear side window all the way.
- Remove the door handle screw from the back of the door handle. Might use a flashlight to see it. I think it's a 10mm hex head with a torx in the middle.
- Lift up on the door panel to remove.
- Remove the phillips head screw from the door panel behind where the door handle was.
- Lift out the 16" or so long straight gasket/weatherstrip that's behind the door lock at the bottom of the window opening.
- Pull off the gasket/weatherstrip that runs up and across the top of the window opening.
- Raise the window as needed to gain access to the nuts (left and right side) holding the glass to the lift rail.
- Remove the two nuts. These are 10mm also I think.
- From the outside of the door tilt the top of the glass towards the interior of the truck to slide the bolts out of the rail and lift the glass out.
- Tint and replace glass.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:56 PM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain

Great job man.Looks good.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:33 PM
FrankJames

looks good. i dont have the patience to tint windows anymore. but another piece of advice for anyone who does, i always used a baby shampoo/water solution as my application fluid, and an old credit card as my squeegee. worked fine.

Quick Reply: Rear windwows tinted w/ pics