3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

4.7 To 5.7 Hemi Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:46 AM
jdanbris
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the quick response. If I go with the 5.7 hemi, what am I looking at as far as wiring harness, different accessory parts/mounts, ect? I really have no preference at this point between the 5.7 and the 5.9.
With the availability, price and previous problems I've seen reported with the 4.7, it just seems to make sense to upgrade to one of the other two alternatives. What I'm really looking to do is just get my truck up and running as soon as possible with a low mileage salvage engine that can be rebuilt later,if needed, or modified later. Then this next winter when I have some down time, worry about making it a screaming ride!!

The following users liked this post:
WolfBlooded (02-04-2020)
Old 06-10-2012, 01:34 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5.9 ? Not a good Idea..Hemi is a better choice..

Originally Posted by MoparPaul
I don't think the hemi will match up w/ the tranny you have let alone the electronics.
The Hemi didn't appear until 2003 so a 5.9/360ci would be the cheapest and easiest choice I would think.
Either change the 4.7 or install a Hemi . a 5.9 swap would not only be harder to do , but wont match anything on you're truck "Especually the transmission".. If you want to see the Hemi swap into a 2002 Ram go to the thread ," 2002 Ram get HemiDak~Quads Hemi .. There are other good Thread swaps on this sight that are very helpfull.
Wrecked Hemi powered trucks can be found everywhere and the motors aren't as expensive as you would think..Maybe $2000. to $2500. with wiring harness and another $50.00 for the ecm..

Last edited by HemiDak-Quad; 06-10-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 PM
jdanbris

Thanks HemiDak-Quad. I have a line on a 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi Engine and a 2 whelel drive trans complete with the computer, wiring harness, computer and gas pedal. 58K miles. Would this be a good donor candidate for my 2002 do you think? Thanks Joe

Old 06-10-2012, 02:23 PM
jdanbris

I'm not that familiar with Dodge products, so not sure what is the best year models to consider. I've always worked on/overhauled GM products and just recently got bitten by the Dodge bug. This project with the Ram 1500 will either cure me or kill me!!!! lol.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:34 PM
jdanbris

I checked out your posts HemiDak-Quad, the 1500 you used looks EXACTLY the same as the one I picked up. Did you ever get all your electrical gremlins figured out? Sounds like it was a good bit of work, but probably well worth it. Again, all help from you will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't have any Hemi motor mounts and couldn't find any for a 2wd Hemi , so I had to modify my 4.7 to work . The wiring harness was pretty much plug and play on the Ram once I changed the ecm over to the 2004 ecm unlike the Dakota That the Hemi came out of... That project was hell the whole way through..
The ABS and Cruise controll are the two things I haven't figured out yet..my ABS light blinks and I don't have cruise...Iv'e been driving my truck since January without an issue other than 02 sensors.. Ran like crap for a day...
The answer to you're question is yes.. 04' will make the perfect candidate for you're swap... BUT get the wiring harness from the front headlights to the dash and don't let them cut "Anything"...Get the ecm , pdc , and "APPS" throttle control box under the battery tray .. "Actually",, Get the battery tray too..Get the complete EVAP PURGE system including the system under the gas tank ~ hoses up to the part on the Battery box..You're transmission will bolt up to the Hemi without issues , BUT if you can get the original Hemi trans without splitting them appart thats the best way.. "Dont split them"...
How much do they want for this motor and trans , and can you still get the rest of this stuff from the donor truck ?? "Also" get the transmission mount bracket .. You don't need the cross member ..
BTW ~~~~~I LOVE MY TRUCK~~~~~~~~~~
"EDIT". When I first started my wiring harness , I was going to hook it up wire to wire like I did the Dakota..But after further investigation I found a complete Harness for $250.00.. from there it was as simple as plugging it in..That's why the first of my pics look like a nightmare , Then you see the wires all harnessed up and looking like they should.. It was quite a relief and saved weeks of time.. I hope you do this swap..

Last edited by HemiDak-Quad; 06-11-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: ADDED
Old 01-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Kfxbrandon.410
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 4.7 to 06 5.7

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
gonna cost a pretty penny. and if you are gonna shell out that much, why not get a bitchen crate stroked 392 or something?
Ok I got a question I have a single cab 06 hemi automatic thinking about buying a 07 quad cab with 4.7 6 speed manual if I end up buying I'll have both trucks but want the hemi in the 07 how hard of a swap would that be ?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:47 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy almost 3 year old thread resurrection Batman!

Old 02-02-2016, 01:59 PM
bobtissue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm Bob trying to put hemi in 05 4+4 four door it has 4.7 in it can it work

Old 02-02-2016, 03:35 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow theres a bunch of idiots on the transmission side of things in this old thread...

The 5.7 Hemi will bolt up to ANY small block transmission Chrysler made since the 60s!. The main thing you have to worry about is that you have the correct torque converter for balancing reasons, 5.7 Hemi engines are internally balanced, so a torque converter from a 318/5.2 Magnum would be in order.

The following users liked this post:
Billy Brown (02-25-2020)

Quick Reply: 4.7 To 5.7 Hemi Conversion?