3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 AM
bchap05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derricksmash
i don't know the model number. but i was under my truck as they did the exhaust. all i know is the box their muffler guy delivered to them was a "50 series truck/suv performance". not the "regular" one. it was a single in/dual out...and i'm not sure if they offer various tip sizes entry/exit diameter sizes. i know they flared the muffler tips to get my stock piping to fit in...but am not completely sure what stock is. 2 1/2"?
Hmm, I think 2.5 sounds right from what I remember reading. I want to make sure I get it right as this truck seems pretty picky on sizes with the exhaust as far as gaining or losing power. As you said you think you got a pretty good gain I would like to set it up the exact same as you. I'll see what choices they have and see if I can narrow it down.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:30 AM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

Has anyone noticed any more gain of power with the flow's? and before I do this, will this effect my gas mileage at all? I know it will the first day I get it, cause I know I'll be froggin around town after work! haha. The old 20's I put on did effect the mileage a little bit but then my cold air seemed to even it all up.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 AM
nfisher
Default flowmaster 40

yo, don't get the 40 series. It's too loud. It doesn't sound right with the V6. soooo.... I was just like you about 8 months ago thinking about what flowmaster to get since I've always wanted one. I read post after post about the 40 series being too loud and blah blah blah... said fck it and went and got the 40 series anyway. I wanted the truck to sound like a 4.7L, and I thought since everyone was saying the 40 series was so aggressive, that was the muffler. No no no, I was wrong. Should have listened to the 50 series hype. Get the 50 series. Don't waste your money... but if you do it anyway, just be prepared for the loudest fckin truck in your neighborhood, and at times, unwelcomed by those around you that hate obnoxious V6s (and don't think we're not fooling anyone with the 40 series, it SOUNDS like a retarded V6). Its SO loud. I got the JBA headers and it's toned down the muffler just a little, but that derrick dude described it pretty well... so I'm swapping the 40 for the 50 this weekend. New pipes too, but sticking with the stock 2.5". Bigger pipes isn't always better. Especially since we have to now keep the two minicats on the exhaust manifolds/headers to be legal for registration and smog in California. But anyway, dude I hope you just get some sense and go with the flowmaster 50.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:42 AM
nfisher

actually dude just email Nick at airram.com, and tell him what kind of torque/hp you want, and he'll give you all kinds of sht you can order. www.airram.com and krcperformance.com and also just because I want some one with a bunch of money and a retarded V6 to put a turbo in their truck... also check out ststurbo.com... the universal turbo kit III for $3000. Anyhow, search for 3.7L V6 on any of those sites for all the stuff that's currently available for your truck. Oh yeah, and also www.thefastman.com for a ported throttle body ($190 if you can do it yourself and send your stock TB back).

Umm yeah, late.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:49 AM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

Thanks nfisher. I talked to the exhaust place today and asked if they had the 50's and they said they only had the 40's, and thats only for the special they are running. should I call bull crap on that and tell them what I want? Or just go to another place and spend a little more?

Last edited by Freakinkeith806; 08-22-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM
bchap05
Professional

nfisher, when you get ahold of the 50 could you post the model or size? Is it just a 2.5 SI/ SO? Whats the length?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

Ok guys, I held back from getting a exhaust today. , But I went to another local place and there I have the option between the 50's and a brand called Aero. Has anyone heard of that exhaust? The areo is all stainless steel and is really freakin sweet lookin. The owner is going to take off my magnaflow and set each one up on there so we can hear what each sounds like. Here is a link for the aero. I think the one he has in stock is the 2525.

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/

Last edited by Freakinkeith806; 08-22-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

That aero exhaust is starting to look pretty sweet. 2 more days and I'll find out! lol

Old 08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

Change of plans. I'm getting exhaust today. I'm going up there later today to listen to both of them. I'm excited. But Idk whats more important. Driving around today, wasting time and gas, or doing my homework. Today was my first day of college....haha

Old 08-25-2008, 06:04 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

did you ask if the aero was a turbo muffler like a Dynomax? If so, I would just get a Flow, they will last much longer, and the turbo will only get louder and possibly blow out the packing (like the Dynomax did with my uncles Hemi). I would probably just keep the magnaflow it has on it, they are some of the best made, unless you just want it loud, then flowmaster or straight pipe

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions