3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:38 AM
Freakinkeith806
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Exhaust questions

I know that there is probably already a thread on here with this topic, but I am looking for a new exhaust for my 3.7. I already have a magnaflow exhaust dumped, but I just want something a lot more aggressive. I have read that the flowmaster 40's sound kick *** at an idle, but get ricy at highway speeds...would the better exhaust be the 50's? Or is there another brand of exhaust that will blow people away with a 6 cylinder? Haha

----Keith

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust questions-dodge.jpg  
Old 08-20-2008, 01:48 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

well, i could vouch for both of your options. i had a 40 series on my truck...single in/dual out. sounded really badass at idle, and ****ty as **** as higher rpms. when i got the headers on my truck, at idle it seriously sounded like it added two cylinders at idle, and wasn't AS ricey at higher speeds, but was definitely garbage sounding.

SO, i got a 50series put in place of that 40series. not only does it sound a lot better, i noticed the boost in lower rpm's just about as the headers boosted my rpms.

me at track with headers + 50 series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ExxrHX91I8

on streets w/ headers + 50 series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70PzfSalpWo

track w/ 40 series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qChgH3C2C-E

0-60 w/ 40series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzjU5ZBPKCw

street drive w/ 40 series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3mvBngzF_Y

40 series out the back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeKxdjM-9pY

basically, 40 series does sound pretty badass from outside, especially if you throw headers on there...but it sounds like crap to everyone else. you can hear in that last vid the ricey sound it makes when u floor it. and keep in mind that the truck is in park...under stress in drive, it sounds like "poppy" pretty much through the whole rpm range.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 PM
bchap05
Professional

I'm liking the 50 with the headers and I think that will be my plan when I get the money. Do you know your model number or what size you got the 50 in?

Last edited by bchap05; 08-20-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

Thanks, And yeah, Derrick, I have seen all your vids on youtube. haha. I think I might go for the 50's. I usually get my exhaust dumped, but I think Im going to shoot it out the right side with dual tips. But thats just an idea right now. Now Derrick, dont you have the JBA headers? If so, I can't find anything for my truck like that, and how much did they cost? I just dont know what will and will not void my lifetime powertrain warranty.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

i got the 40, but I have single exhaust, and a 4" 18" long tip, sounds good. havent heard the 50 in person, but the 70 is about as loud as magnaflow from what Ive observed

Old 08-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

How does your 40 sound on the highway?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by bchap05
I'm liking the 50 with the headers and I think that will be my plan when I get the money. Do you know your model number or what size you got the 50 in?
i don't know the model number. but i was under my truck as they did the exhaust. all i know is the box their muffler guy delivered to them was a "50 series truck/suv performance". not the "regular" one. it was a single in/dual out...and i'm not sure if they offer various tip sizes entry/exit diameter sizes. i know they flared the muffler tips to get my stock piping to fit in...but am not completely sure what stock is. 2 1/2"?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by Freakinkeith806
Thanks, And yeah, Derrick, I have seen all your vids on youtube. haha. I think I might go for the 50's. I usually get my exhaust dumped, but I think Im going to shoot it out the right side with dual tips. But thats just an idea right now. Now Derrick, dont you have the JBA headers? If so, I can't find anything for my truck like that, and how much did they cost? I just don't know what will and will not void my lifetime powertrain warranty.
yea, i have the stainless JBA headers. got them from airram.com in that "group buy" they had going. they were only $300 shipped to my door. and i painted them red (slowly fading to a powdery white...lol...but looks badass nonetheless).

as for warranty, it probably won't, but don't quote me on that. maybe at this point it won't, but like 10 years from now, they'll be like, "the car is 10 years and still warranted? ****, that sucks. let's just void it cause the headers".

Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

Cool Derrick. A local exhaust place is having a sale on some flowmasters and tips, so I think Im going there early in the morning to get this done. I never have had tips on any of my trucks, including this one, so i hope it turns out the way I want it. And yeah, I would like to go for the headers, but idk how my rents would go for it. My dad works for dodge so maybe I'll ask him to ask around about the warranty issues. What did the headers all in all do for you?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

my trucks an 06, and redbuds is an 07, and we both have 3 inch exhaust, but since you have duals, it will be 2.5 from the muffler back

and my truck is hardly louder than stock in 6th gear, but you can **** people off by pulling up next to them and putting the tip near their open window at about 2500 rpm

sounds good also when you drive by concrete dividers and tunnels and carwashes

Last edited by 7mmmag1; 08-21-2008 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions