3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:50 PM
JRD1288
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice...

so first off, I own a 2002 ram 1500 4.7, and after much debating I've decided that my first real mod will be replacing the stock exhaust for something a little more aggressive. since funds are low I'm trying to decide whether or not i want to pay for a full cat-back system, or just swap out the muffler for probably a flowmaster 40 delta, and get a nice tip welded on. what do you guys think? any difference really? also...after doing some half-assed measuring I came to the conclusion that the piping before the muffler is 2.5" and piping after is 3"...does this sound accurate?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:01 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRD1288
so first off, I own a 2002 ram 1500 4.7, and after much debating I've decided that my first real mod will be replacing the stock exhaust for something a little more aggressive. since funds are low I'm trying to decide whether or not i want to pay for a full cat-back system, or just swap out the muffler for probably a flowmaster 40 delta, and get a nice tip welded on. what do you guys think? any difference really? also...after doing some half-assed measuring I came to the conclusion that the piping before the muffler is 2.5" and piping after is 3"...does this sound accurate?
The best performing exhaust will be basically going with your stock Primaries into a HIGH FLOW "Y" pipe merging into SINGLE 3"Pipe, into a 3" IN/OUT HIGH FLOW MUFFLER. This means you will also need to replace your smaller factory CAT with a 3" Cat just after the "Y" pipe. The list should look like this:

1) HIGH FLOW "Y" (3" Out)
2) 3" HIGH FLOW MUFF
3) 3" HIGH FLOW CAT
4) HEADERS (Gibson or JBA)

If your unable to go with that complete system above, then replace ONLY the restrictive parts of your current system in this order below:

1) Factory "Y" Pipe -
2) Factory MUFFLER
3) Factory HEADERS

If you could only pic ONE exhaust mod then the factory "Y" pipe should be the first to go. It is the more restrictive part on your system followed by the muffler and headers.

Aftermarket CAT BACK SYSTEMS do VERY LITTLE to address the real restrictions on your factory exhaust system. There gains come from the performance muffler... The rest of the CAT BACK systems offer very little improvment over the factory pipe.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Just the muffler will be fine and a lot cheaper too.

Replacing the Y-pipe with a 3" version is a waste of money...the problem with a Y-pipe is that it's a Y-pipe. If you're planning on long tubes later on then it'll have to be replaced anyway....go true duals or use a X-pipe.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
JRD1288

thanks for the responses guys. I've decided that (for the time being atleast) I will just switch out the muffler. My only other question deals with the piping measurements themselves. Would i be able to get away with ordering the 2.5" in/out, or would I go with the 3" in/out? also, would choosing centered or offset inlets/outlets matter with my truck? thanks alot, and sorry for my lack of knowledge fellas, I'm new to all this.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 PM
JRD1288

hmm...anyone?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 AM
nickatnite

your going to have to add pipe to your system, bc any muffler you get will be a lot shorter than the stock one. and get 3in in and out. just put a 2-3in adapter in. how that helps

Old 08-28-2008, 04:55 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

The magnaflow i got was same length as my stock. Mine is an 07 so not sure if the pipe diameter changed but i ran 3" in and dual 2.5 out.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 PM
GoBIGorGoHOME

a y-pipe is a y-pipe as said above. going with mandrel bent crap and bigger diameter exhaust doesnt do a whole heck of a lot unless your motor is modified. for a stock 4.7 id just get a flowmaster 40 (delta, super, super 44 whatever you fancy is) and id just go with 2.5 inlet and outlets simply because when you step up to 3 inch tubing the price goes way up. 2.5 is perfect and go with a 3-3.5 inch tip (or tips) that are at least a foot long, bigger diameter tips can change the way the exhaust sounds drastically. after owning 8 cars/trucks and 6 of them being V8s ive became real good friends with the exhaust shop and they have told me all the tricks about tubing size, mufflers, tips. etc...
good luck on the exhaust.

Quick Reply: need some advice...