3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Toying with the idea of getting a RAM

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Toying with the idea of getting a RAM

Ok, was out with this chick friend of mine, looking at small trucks & SUV's today when a truck caught my eye. Asked a question or two, and before I knew it, wheels were churning.
It looks really sharp, an '05 RCSB Hemi 4x2, lifted, with a good bit of mods already. What really hit me is their is only 17,000 miles on it and they are asking $12,995 and I already know without too much haggling they will take $10,800.
I'd have to give up my Grand Cherokee Overland for it, I love the Jeep and the Overland is plush as hell, but it's got 73,000 miles on it. Plus, with all the mods to my '04, everything that came off it is in new condition and could be spare parts for the '05.
The Jeep actually has an KBB average trade of $11,750 and is in close to "as new" condition, now I'm not stupid and expect them to want to get some cash on this deal, but I don't think the Jeep + no more than a grand is unreasonable to expect.
It's basically a mileage upgrade, gaining about 55,000 miles and 3 years and giving up 4 wheel drive (I need two V8 4x4's like I need a hole in the head and a cushiony leather interior with all the bells & whistles for the usefullness of a 2nd truck.
I don't know, I may be nuts but I'm thinking about taking the Jeep there tomorrow and see how close to a straight swap I can get.

Here's a pic of the truck on the lot and one on the Jeep I'll have to trade on it:

Old 08-28-2008, 11:05 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, if it wasn't for the miles, i'd say no way, keep the jeep. but this looks tempting.

however, wouldn't you get tired of having two of basically the same truck? IMO it would be kinda nice to have another ride that was smoother and not as much of a gas hog as my truck. And 73k really isn't a lot. what would you do with another truck anyway?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

OK, Veej, here is the deal (but don't let it get out), I miss beating a truck up. But with my financial situation being the worst it's been in 20 years and given the low miles and amt. of $ I have in mods, I don't do the "horseplay" I used to when I had my last 6 trucks. Not just off-road stuff, but general, stomp on it, donuts, burn-outs not to mention I'd take this one out in the woods and not worry about scratching the hell out of it. To be honest, if this truck was a lifted 4x4 or a Wrangler, I'da left the bi*ch I was with at the dealership and came home for the Jeep Title. But you ain't getting into a 4x4 that cherry and especially not a Wrangler for that little money...

Plus it gives me a way to take the ATV on trips like up to the farm or north Ga. without putting fifteen hundred to two thousand miles on my '04 4x4 every time. That big camping trip I took in June, I would have loved to have the ATV with me, literally hundreds of trails in the N. Georgia/N. Carolina mtns. to ride, but I didn't want to rack up 2500 miles on me truck, so I took the Jeep and no ATV...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-28-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 PM
mmstar23
Champion

thats tough hammer. really tough actually. if it was a quadcab, then i would say do it....but its a regular cab. seeing as its a 2wd doesnt really bother me too much, but another thing to look at is mpg's. now i dont know what you jeep gets, but im sure its better than the new truck. and thats what a saily driver is for....economy. but again, i look at having a truck you could give 2 ****s about taking it offraod and beating it....but its not a 4x4. in the end......lifes too short to not do what you want. and if it comes to about the same price.....be a man and get yourself the big ol' lifted truck.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

so you're lookin for a cherry *** truck that you can beat the **** out of? that just don't make sense.

so the 04 is your baby, and the jeep can't carry a quad, and you want something you can beat the crap out of and run hard and still go roadin with. maybe you need a dak, or a taco? taco will be more expensive, but damn they run well.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say do it. That would be sweet to have and would fit your needs perfectly.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:19 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

but if you are going to get another truck, you might as well spend the extra few thou and get one with a live axle like you really want instead of buying one just cuz you just stumbled upon it.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:26 AM
ofnaman1995

+1, spend just a little more and get something you will really like. 4X4's in that year model aren't that much these days. I wouldn't want to give up the two seats either, but I have kiddos... check out autotrader.com I found a killer deal on my truck there.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:07 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I actually also looked at a '98 1500 4x4 with the 5.9 Magnum. It's almost identical to my old '98 except mine was a regular cab this is a QC. They want $5k for it, but it's got 120k miles, it would be a great off road beater, but with the known issues these trucks get when the mileage gets up there, I don't think I'd want to use it for long trip up to the farm or the 11 hour trek to the mountains.
If I do a live axle 4x4 thing, it'll be when I'm in a position to absorb the loss of my '04 and I'll replace that with either a 2500 QCSB 4x4 Hemi, Power Wagon or CTD, depending on what I can afford.
Nope, if I'm gonna trade the GC daily driver, I need something in the condition that it can be a daily driver. I actually also looked at a new Patriot, can prolly get into one for about $6k plus my GC. 4x4, up close to 30 mpgs, a little smaller, not near as plush but with ZERO miles on the engine and the lifetime power train. What do you all think about that move?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 AM
HEMIslide
Rookie

Ive got the Ram and a Jeep as well (both 2008s w/ hemi), and I like having the Jeep as it drives so smoothly and its a nice change. I dont haul atvs or anything like that, so mileage isnt an issue. That jeep (in the pic) looks great, Hammer.

Good luck w/ your decision, either way.

-slide

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-29-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Toying with the idea of getting a RAM