3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sirius Questions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:17 AM
nuckingfuts22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Questions here!!

Ok my 06 Ram came stock with Sirius radio with the factory head unit, I have since replaced out my factory head unit with an after market head unit but my Sirius doesn't work. I miss being able to listen to the same radio station for more than 20 miles before I need to look for another one. Is there anyway I can hook my Stock Sirius receiver to my after market head unit, I have a JVC KD-AVX2 CD/DVD player in my truck and it is able to control Sirius so that is not an issue. Is there some small connector I can use that will plug into my after market head unit and make all this work again. I would hate to get a new Sirius receiver unit even though there is nothing wrong with the one I currently have and also have to rerun the antenna and take the old one out so everything looks clean. Any idea at all guys would help me out.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also curious, I have the stock head unit and my truck is an '06 and I still have free Sirius I want to change out the deck. but I don't think that it will be worth the better sound for loosing the Sirius.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:38 AM
jumper82

If your new deck is Sat ready, there should be a connector/adapter slot on the back of the deck that the antenna would plug into. I had the same problem when I got a new deck. I took it back to the shop that I got the deck from and had them redo it. If you've done the install yourself, you could still take it to any decent shop and they should be able to give you some pointers or help out.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:42 AM
dazed01
Veteran

I was curious about this too since I'm going to get rid of the cheese dick radio in my 08 for something aftermarket. Also, is there a place I can get a list of the channels so I'm not just flipping from channel to channel to find something decent?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Ben D.
Champion

you gotta buy the parts for the jvc h/u to make it control sirius. then u just pull the antenna outta the factory sirius tuner which is behind the glovebox and plug that into the parts from JVC and tada. o and idk if you can swap the subscription over to a new unit....

Old 09-01-2008, 12:48 PM
kicker417
Veteran

yes you can change your subscription to your new head unit and for any aftermarket radio you get you have to get the adapter for it

Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 AM
nuckingfuts22
Professional

Ok Ben is it easy to get to the factory sirius tuner? Do I have to take the entire unit out and put in the new JVC stuff then just replace the wires? For the most part I am pretty good at doing this kind of stuff myself I just don't want to run into anything strange and really fudge up my radio.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Ben D.
Champion

yea pop out the glove box and look up... you'll see a little box with some wires plugged into it. pop out the antenna and plug it into the stuff from jvc... the jvc box could be placed in the place of the factory stuff which is what i plan to do when I get a new h/u but it could stay there if ya don't want to remove it. the jvc box will probably need to be wired into power and ground and then antenna plugged in and it will come with a cable to connect to the back of the JVC and tada.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:40 PM
nuckingfuts22
Professional

Thanks for the head up, I will start to look for a good JVC unit and go ahead and get it.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 AM
mileshuff
Professional

The factory tuner will not work with aftermarket head units. It uses the can-bus to communicate with the factory stereo. The factory antenna has two connectors. Not sure why or how it would work with an aftermarket sirius tuner.

Quick Reply: Sirius Questions here!!