3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

eng hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
sunburst08
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question eng hesitation

anyone know what could cause eng hesitation? truck has only 1700+ miles but if i floor it/full throttle i feel some hesitation, all most reminds me of a slight miss in the ignition? thanks for any help/info.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Torque management, this topic is actually being discussed in other threads within this section right now. It's also due to the fact that the truck is "throttle by wire" meaning that the right foot to the throttle is relayed to the PCM (computer) and the computer tells how much gas to give. The throttle is in essence, de-tuned at the factory...

Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
sunburst08
Rookie
Default eng hesitation

so how can one go about fixing the problem? tuner etc... back to the dealer to complain. thanks again for the quick replies.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Complaining to the dealer or Dodge for that matter won't help. They don't tune the PCM for operating at WOT and what they are doing is actually easier on the engine, tranny, etc. The dealer will basically laugh at you and tell you that is how it's supposed to be. I recently read a member on another forum who quoted the service mgr. at his dealership telling him "if you wanted a race car, you should have bought a fu*kin race car".
"Canned Tune" tuners modify the torque management a bit, making it somewhat better, but I'm told Superchips, for instance doesn't go "all the way" with disabling torque management because it would make the truck not meet government CARB certification standards. Having a custom tune written or using a tuner such as the SCT which will hold "custom tunes" would be the only way to completely take torque management out all-together...

Old 09-03-2008, 05:41 PM
sunburst08
Rookie
Default eng hesitation

what or where can i get a sct tuner? thanks

Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

http://www.sctflash.com/DCXC2.php

But you'll be disappointed, they are only up to '06 Hemi support. I think you'd be at least a year out from having a custom tune.
But you seem very obsessed with getting rid of torque management, I just think with getting an '08 it's gonna be a while before you can get rid of it completely. A Superchips will make it a bit better until you could get a tune for it...

Old 09-04-2008, 01:49 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Back off to 1/2 throttle after hiting the floor and it will pick up better. My 08 does empty or towing 7500lbs. It is quite annoying, but even after backing off to 1/2 throttle, it pulls all of the way to 5600rpm before shifting.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 PM
sunburst08
Rookie
Default eng hesitation

thanks guys. not obsessed, just irritated. if its a torque management thing then that's fine. i just would like to limit the amount of what feels like a back and forward motion, i mean you are loosing some ground when it cuts in, but like most i like to hit the go pedal every once in awhile and just figure it should be just that, a go pedal. not an off/on switch. thanks for the info and help.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck does it to if I put the pedal all the way to the floor. My 0-60 time is a full second quicker if I only give it 2/3 throttle and the engine still hits 5500 rpm before shifting, and shifts harder.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Skullycapone
Rookie

Originally Posted by sunburst08
thanks guys. not obsessed, just irritated. if its a torque management thing then that's fine. i just would like to limit the amount of what feels like a back and forward motion, i mean you are loosing some ground when it cuts in, but like most i like to hit the go pedal every once in awhile and just figure it should be just that, a go pedal. not an off/on switch. thanks for the info and help.

had same problem, thought I had a problem with the engine or maybe the design of the truck against the wind and the tailgate was giving me that pull back feeling.

I added exhaust and superchip this week and saturday ill put on my k&n cai, so far the superchip 3815 added tonight after some messin around helped out quite a bit all the way around.

Quick Reply: eng hesitation