3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Amsoil Vs. Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive used Amzoil ever since the 1500 mile mark, and I'm now at 85K+. I change the filter at 4K and run the oil to 8K with great results. I changed last my oil and filt last weekend (Mobil1 M301)---the quart size. The oil came out dark, but clear. The engine still runs like the day I picked it up from the dealer----great!!! I'm averaging 16-17 mpg combined with mostly highway driving at 60-65 mph.

I really don't think you could go wrong using either of them

When I first started using the Amzoil with the new engine, I changed it at 3K and it looked brand new, I soon extended it out to 5K and changed the filt at 2500. Still looked near new--slightly darker then out of the bottle. I'm now out to 8K with a filt change at 4K--have done this the last 2 changes. My butt meter--so to speak--says this is where I will stop extending it at.

I may go ahead and send in a sample for an oil analysis at the next 8K change with a brand new sample to compare to--Polaris Labs in Indy. Their doing the O/A checks for all my BIG compressors at work---some in excess of 200hp---and they have done the best checks for us so far. If I remember right, I think they run around $60 for each---but I could be wrong, I don't usually get to see the bill---just the results.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:09 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by POLICE RAM
if you want the best filter buy a hastings or baldwin filter. fram, wix, purolater filters are well crap.
Strongly disagree, the tests results I saw when I worked for Caterpillar said Baldwin filters suck. Cat sells Baldwin filters, so no reason to say that baldwin filters are garbage and wix filters work great unless its the truth

napa gold, wix, and i think purolator are good filters from everything i can recall. I will never ever buy a fram or a baldwin or a penzzoil (relabeled fram).

Last edited by xfeejayx; 09-05-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

if you want the best filter buy a hastings or baldwin filter. fram, wix, purolater filters are well crap. ...
As a mechanic...are you really gonna reccomend them. It is fairly common knowledge around the mechanics circle here that a baldwin is total garbage. When the farm bought our new equipment the first thing the mech said was to get rid of the baldwins. Said he's rather have no filter than a baldwin.

As said before, Wix and Purolator are hard to beat.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:31 PM
jsaunders

Check out Blackstone Labs foryour oil testing- $20-30 for the test.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like royal purple.never tried the amsoil though.i use the k&n filter.and change at between 3k and 4k.oil still looks new.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:51 PM
POLICE RAM

buy one of every brand filter and cut it open and look and see whats inside, i'm a mechanic and i've done it throughout the years and you'll see why hastings and baldwin are better than anything else, wix, fram, purolater collapse much easier than a baldwin or hastings-the filter elements in the hastings and baldwin are also much better. i will say the worst filter on the planet is a delco filter( made in bulgaria). I will only use hastings and baldwin because i want the best for my customers. i've seen many filters collapse( including wix, fram and motorcrap) but not a baldwin or hastings.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:24 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

buy one of every brand filter and cut it open and look and see whats inside, i'm a mechanic and i've done it throughout the years and you'll see why hastings and baldwin are better than anything else, wix, fram, purolater collapse much easier than a baldwin or hastings-the filter elements in the hastings and baldwin are also much better. i will say the worst filter on the planet is a delco filter( made in bulgaria). I will only use hastings and baldwin because i want the best for my customers. i've seen many filters collapse( including wix, fram and motorcrap) but not a baldwin or hastings.
that's exactly what they did in the test. and you're basing your "best filter" judgment just off of which filter collapses more? Seems like you missing a lot of the point, the filtering part. if i remember right, and i think i do, the baldwin just sucked at it. they still made filters that basically used yarn wrapped around to be the filter, YARN!!

you're basing your opinions off of unstatistical, undocumented, unsupported experience.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:36 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

As stated already. How a filter collapses, has NOTHING to do with how well it filters. Thats like saying black trucks are faster.
In any test, where they actually test how well a filter does its job. A baldwin comes out usually dead last.

Run your baldwin, change oil and run another filter. Send both oil samples off and i guarantee youll see way more metals in the oil with the baldwin. It lets way too much garbage through and breaks down too fast.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fleetguard Filters are a division of Cummins Engine
and are high quality.

Wix and Mobil One filters have scored well in any independent test I have read over the last few decades, both oil and air filters.

Mobil One Synthetic oils have come out ahead in tests by
Porsche, Corvette division, Dodge SRT.,
just about any automaker's engineers have concluded this is the best available oil,
although Shell Rotella is a strong competitor
and some prefer the diesel rated Rotella for the higher content of
Zinc based anti-wear additive.

Amsoil and Royal Purple try to run a
'Viral Advertising'
campaign on the internet.

The best selling book
'The Tipping Point'
has a chapter on Internet Viral Advertising
if you want details of how this works.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:54 PM
POLICE RAM

evidentally, you guys like believing ads on t.v., and it sounds like your not professional mechanics as well. i made a second point next to collaping filters, i stated hastings and baldwin have better filter elements, which they do-but com'on, do you really want a filter on you investment like a wix or fram that have been known to collapse? why spend 20-30 grand or whatever the cost was to buy your truck, run good oil but a known problamatic filter-if you want the best filter made it is and has been for a long time-hastings filters

haha, and white trucks are faster than black ones-that was a very stupid remark JD1500

Quick Reply: Amsoil Vs. Royal Purple