3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

throttle body spacer

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:03 PM
jordanisbomb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body spacer

has anyone put a throttle body spacer on theyre 5.7 hemi and had good results and what brand was it? ive heard they often produce little or no results.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:07 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Spend your money elsewhere...like on headers.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

didn't notice any gains! If you want to buy one I will sell you mine for $40 pm me if interested.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:03 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make a great paper weight.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:28 PM
mmstar23
Champion

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
They make a great paper weight.
+1. and what the **** is this minimum of 5 charcater thing? just went to type +1 and it wouldnt let me!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:21 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

All the thing I have read in diff fourms is the spacer will put a nice space in your wallet

Old 09-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Ram4wd
Rookie
Default Throttle Body Spacer 5.7 Hemi w/MDS

I just have to jump in on this one; and I know that I will get beaten up for this - but oh well!

I have read the throttle body spacer articles and arguments here and many places elsewhere. Unfortunately, I had already purchased an Airaid TBS for my Ram before reading many of the articles; most of which were derogatory regarding any benefit.

I have had the Airaid TBS on my Ram with just the stock air box, with the stock air box and an Airaid MIT Tube installed, and also with a K&N "drop-in" added. In each of these configurations, I think, but can not validate, that there might have been some, as advertised, "low-end" to "mid-range" response improvement. But I kept it installed, most of the time, probably to justify my purchase. I do not believe it improved mileage noticeably at all.

Then I made a significant upgrade. I went to a local muffler shop, and yes- paid way too much - for a 3" mandrel bent single out cat-back exhaust system. I got a Flowmaster 50 series Truck/SUV muffler with a bullet muffler/resonator installed just before the muffler.

This addition really made a difference; the most significant being the seemingly noticeable loss of my Ram's "low-end". Then I decided, ok, lets help it breathe easier so I added an AEM Brute Force Air Intake; with the dry flow filter. This Air Intake System comes with a 1" smooth bore Throttle Body Spacer. This combination really emphasized what I felt was the lost "Low-End"performance on my truck. So ...

I changed out the AEM Throttle Body Spacer for my Airaid TBS; all else remained the same. I would say a substantial amount of the lost "low-end" performance has returned. I run 33X12.50/18 Toyo M/T's on 9" rims. Now a modest depressing of the accelerator WILL spin these tires. I don't mean clouds of black smoke, but it wouldn't do this as readily prior to the current intake configuration.

So, what am I saying: For me; the Airaid TBS works - the AEM TBS did not, specifically for what I want out of my truck, in a very effective way. I have no dyno numbers, etc., merely this "seat of the pants" assessment.

I am pleased with how my truck performs and sounds now. I have achieved my goals. I wouldn't want anyone to spend money uselessly, but if you have access to a TBS, maybe it will provide something for you; maybe not.

BTW this is installed on a 2006 Ram 1500 RCLB 4X4

Ok guys; come and get me!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is it true that a TBS will make your truck sound like it has a turbo. I heard this somewhere and I don't know if it was a TBS or somthing else. All I want my truck to do is sound like it has a turbo, I don't want to spend the money for a turbo I just want it to sound like it haha.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

On some applications, the spacers cause an annoying whistle.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Stunnerguy
Rookie

yea I installed a TBS on my truck and there was this annoying whistle sound all the time. Also did not see any improvements.

Quick Reply: throttle body spacer