3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Malu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is going on?

So I just got my baby back from the dealer. It was misfiring big time and turned out to be a collapsed valve spring. At first the dealer didn't want to fix it under warrenty saying the 7/70 only applied to the original owner. Luckily I had some connections and they ended up doing it for a $100 deductible. Now it's 3 days later and the engine light goes on again. I looked up the code here on the forum and found this - "P0456 Evap Leak Monitor Small (.020) Leak Detected". What does this mean and can I fix it myself? Is this causing the engine light to go on? The truck is also making a loud "tacking" sound after being shut down. It never did this before. It lasts about 4 minutes after shut down with about 5 seconds between tacks. I love my ram but am really frustrated right now please help.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:07 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Hopefully they did the job right and replaced all the springs...do you know if they did?

As for the evap code...it could be a lot of things. Check the charcoal canister by the fuel tank and all tubes going into it...while you're down there check the fuel tank too.

Does the tacking sound exhaust related?

Old 09-07-2008, 03:45 AM
radrickshemi

Check your gas cap.Same thing happened to my Scion,turned out to be a loose gas cap.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 AM
dazed01
Veteran

The evap leak is probably a cracked rubber evap line, check the rubber lines coming from the engine going to the charcoal canister and fuel tank. The ticking noise is probably just metal expanding and contracting when cooling down.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:57 PM
POLICE RAM

they should fix it, doesnt dodge have the transferrable warrenty?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:26 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by POLICE RAM
they should fix it, doesnt dodge have the transferrable warrenty?
yea the 7/70 is transferable. But you have to pay $100 or something when you get the truck to have it transfered to you within 30 days of buying it or somthing like that. If you didn't buy it, they are not liable. but if you bought it at a dealer (i didn't) maybe they do it automatically??

the lifetime warranty is not transferable

Old 09-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Malu

I just checked the paper work and it says that they only replaced the damaged spring. I hope this was an isolated incident. Sounds like the tacking sound could be from the exhaust but I just don't understand why it would start all of a sudden after getting it back, I never heard it before. What a coincidence. I'll check the hoses to see what kind of condition they're in. I put gas this morning and noticed that the gas gauge took a long time to go all the way to full. Usually it just shoots right up. Could this be because of the hoses and a vacum leak?

Last edited by Malu; 09-07-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:40 PM
POLICE RAM

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
yea the 7/70 is transferable. But you have to pay $100 or something when you get the truck to have it transfered to you within 30 days of buying it or somthing like that. If you didn't buy it, they are not liable. but if you bought it at a dealer (i didn't) maybe they do it automatically??

the lifetime warranty is not transferable
really,that sucks for someone privately buying a year old truck.