3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Deciding between 1500 Hemi or 2500 CTD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:15 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Maybe your choices should be between a new Hemi or a late model used 5.9 Cummins, which in my opinion is the best diesel made, by anybody. Either that or sit tight until they have the 6.7s right...
+1-----

Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Tizi
Professional

CTD was not covered under the lifetime warranty. That is another reason I chose the Hemi. I plan on keep the thing 10 plus years or forever. I will probably put around 6,000 miles per year on it. With proper maintenance, it should last a long long time.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 PM
mmstar23
Champion

simply put.....Cummins, hands down! for many o' reasons!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my hemi, empty the ctd get's = mpg to my hemi in my 2500, I have no chance in hell drag racing a ctd with a autfomatic, the 6 sp in the hemi is a torque monster..

It's not a question of what is best, The CTD is the better, more expensive option, but a total waste of time and money if your not going to work the truck.

I don't like the 1500 ram, a 2500 is just a better truck all the way arround, I don't need a mega tower, if I did, I would go for the CTD.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 AM
mmstar23
Champion

However, beware, the new 6.7l CTD has been plagued with problems, lifetime warranty or not, I know people with them who've had them at the dealer more than on the road, and they still can't get them to run without CEL's and going into "limp mode".
Maybe your choices should be between a new Hemi or a late model used 5.9 Cummins, which in my opinion is the best diesel made, by anybody. Either that or sit tight until they have the 6.7s right...
actually hammer, the 6.7 is almost there. a few of my buddies on DB have gotten them to blow some soot and actually put out nice numbers. key is all in the sensors. a sensor fooler is all thats required with a DPF delete. they run fine after that. yes i agree that a 5.9CR is, at the moment better than a 6.7, but the 6.7 is catching up quicker than i thought

Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

as much as i want a CTD, if you don't use a diesel like a diesel is meant to be used, you're asking for trouble. Diesels like to be run, especially nowadays with the DPF (DPF delete not an option for me, i get tested). Most diesel engines do not like idling at all, and you gotta get some good load on the every so often to clean up all the gunk they build up.

if you ain't gonna use it, don't pay for it. why a bare bones truck with a CTD you won't use, when you could ge a very capable Hemi with options you will use every day?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mmstar23
actually hammer, the 6.7 is almost there. a few of my buddies on DB have gotten them to blow some soot and actually put out nice numbers. key is all in the sensors. a sensor fooler is all thats required with a DPF delete. they run fine after that. yes i agree that a 5.9CR is, at the moment better than a 6.7, but the 6.7 is catching up quicker than i thought
that's a sh*t answer, what about all the people in inspection states? How about places like the town I was a consultant in, where their two trucks sit on a lot, unused. A city mgr. would never authorize those "band aids" on a city owned vehicle. That truck needs to work right, in it's stock form, off the dealers lot, or not be sold, especially for $40k+.
Me thinks your letting your wanting one so badly cloud your judgement. Maybe the spoiled little rich brats on DB are figuring out how to mod them to make them work, but like I said, it's a band aid.
You shouldn't have to mod a $40k truck to make it drive without a CEL popping up constantly!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 AM
dogfrndnew

Thanks for all the responses. One thing I hadn't mentioned that was a factor is the solid front axle. I'm only 38, but think like an old man sometimes and I am a little afraid of IFS. My Silverado had it and never gave me problems, but it is an item for the plus column of the 2500.

That said, the realist in me leans toward a 1500/4x4/Hemi, but I want this to be my DD and I don't know if the Hemi can hold up to 21k-24k miles (95%hwy) a year I seem to average and still be going strong after 5 years when it's paid off. Any high mileage issues to be worried about? Thanks for your help.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

The stuff i haul as a trucker is custom cabinets for schools n hospitals. Most of the installers i meet travel their entire state and sometimes out of state on their jobs. I met quite a few installers running hemi rams rolling 70+ K miles in a year. At least to date, ive heard not 1 complaint from them. Not much to go on for you but hope it helps some.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 PM
mmstar23
Champion

that's a sh*t answer, what about all the people in inspection states? How about places like the town I was a consultant in, where their two trucks sit on a lot, unused. A city mgr. would never authorize those "band aids" on a city owned vehicle. That truck needs to work right, in it's stock form, off the dealers lot, or not be sold, especially for $40k+.
Me thinks your letting your wanting one so badly cloud your judgement. Maybe the spoiled little rich brats on DB are figuring out how to mod them to make them work, but like I said, it's a band aid.
You shouldn't have to mod a $40k truck to make it drive without a CEL popping up constantly!

if your in an inspection state....that sucks. stock....i wouldnt own one, i do agree, but just throwing it out there that the widely spread idea that you cant rip out the dpf and muffler off a 6.7 is impossible....its not. but without a doubt, that requires mods and that = $$$
for city use as you mentioned.....your best bet is a 6.4...sorry cummins
and i agree, many of guys have been to the dealer ship, monthly, if not weekly. and dodge themselves need to bring a solution to the table. other companies have found out how to get it to work, for power reasons, now dodge needs to figure it out so the regular man can drive the 6.7 without the hassles!!! and as feejay said, the 6.7 (mainly) needs to be worked. the egt's need to reach certain heights to activate the dpf, which are really only reached in towing or strenuous situations. if the 6.7 is used as a work horse, i havent heard many problems, but using it as a regualr car.....unfortuanlty you can expect problems with the 6.7

Quick Reply: Deciding between 1500 Hemi or 2500 CTD?