3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Deciding between 1500 Hemi or 2500 CTD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM
dogfrndnew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding between 1500 Hemi or 2500 CTD?

I have been thinking of getting into the RAM world and am having a hard time picking 3/4 CTD and 1/2 Hemi. Either way it will be a quad cab. I have a Roadrunner and a Corvette to restore, but will rarely tow either. More likely just carry parts. I need 4x4 due to snow, but likely won't go trail driving. I had been set on the CTD because of longevity and MPG. Now that Dodge has the lifetime warranty, the longevity issue seems less important. After reading people's comments in a recent mpg request here, it looks like 18 is a doable MPG with the Hemi since most of my mileage is highway. CTD's don't seem to do much better and the fuel is more. Finally, there is price with an upcharge on 2500's and not only a lower price but 0% for up to 72 mos on the 1500. Basically, I can get a 1500 Laramie for a little less per month than a stripped 2500. I realize there will be some bias, but there wasn't a General Ram forum where 1500's and 2500's all discuss. Given these circumstances, what would you folks do? Thanks for your help!

Old 09-08-2008, 03:46 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

personally, i would want a CTD if i could afford it (which i can't), but that's just cuz i like diesels. for your situation, i think the 1500 is your best bet. you get more options and will overall just be happier with the truck. The CTD can probably do better than 20 mpg on the highway, but with diesel costs now you end up beaking even on the higher efficiency. and that 1500 hemi will probably still tow anything that you can throw at it.
Do remember, though, that gneral maintenance will cost you more to keep your lifetime warranty.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Tizi
Professional

I had to decide between the Hemi and CTD when I bought my truck. But because the difference in cost per mile the CTD was 5 cents per mile cheaper, it would take me 10 years to make up the difference in cost. I also factored in the lifetime warranty. Also, on the 2500, I had more hauling capacity with the Hemi due to the CTD being heavier. After having the truck for 6 months now, I would do it again. Keep in mind, I got the 2500 to haul a camper and pull a 3000 pound boat. If I was only going to be pulling the boat, I would have went with the 1500, possibly. I do like the ability to haul more if I need to.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Chris1530
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go CTD, with the way the market is you should be able to get one fairly cheap..
But a Hemi is really cheap right now too.

Just depends on if you are going to leave it stock, or if your going to lift it put b***er(heavier) wheels and tires..
If you are going to modify it Buy a CTD, if you go Hemi and lift it and go b***er tires..
your going to lose MPG, with a Cummins it wont hurt your MPG as much..
I say go Cummins

Old 09-08-2008, 04:50 PM
justntexas07
Veteran

Are you kidding? Nothing against the HEMI but I would choose the CTD anyday the gas. I wish I still had my 04 2500, that thing was a beast!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
throberts
Professional

work=CTD, pleasure/play=Hemi
Had the same dilemma when I bought mine this summer...I really don't tow enough to take full advantage of the CTD, but I still wanted a stouter frame/suspension for rare occasions....that's why I ended up with my 1500 Mega Cab Hemi (3/4 ton in disguise), that and they we're basically giving them away at the time.
MPG is nothing to brag about....12 city and 17 hwy..but it is what it is and if you want a heavy truck with power, there's just no way around it.
I figure I'll never take advantage of the lifetime warranty due to the fact I do my own maintenance and never trust the mostly incompetent tech's I've met at the dealer...not to knock mechanics, but jeez..i've met alot of idots at mostly domestic dealers...the only ones I've been pleased with have been at Lexus and Mercedes dealers, but I suppose they have the money to burn there for good help and resources. ....sorry, got a little side tracked there.
You'd be happy with either one you get though....this is my first Mopar experience and I couldn't be happier with my purchase...even with $100 fill ups.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If I had to do it all over again I'd have gotten the CTD, but my Hemi has been great. I usually got a truck every 2-3 years that combined with the fact that when I bought in '04, you could get about $9k off a Hemi between dealer and rebates, they were not only not budging on the CTDs but added a $1500 "adjusted market value" line to the retail price. So that made a CTD that stickered for around $8k more than the Hemi, cost $18,500 more! Wasn't any way in hell!
Now, with the price of diesel, they are dealing on both, so you could probably get a CTD for only about $10k more.

However, beware, the new 6.7l CTD has been plagued with problems, lifetime warranty or not, I know people with them who've had them at the dealer more than on the road, and they still can't get them to run without CEL's and going into "limp mode".
Maybe your choices should be between a new Hemi or a late model used 5.9 Cummins, which in my opinion is the best diesel made, by anybody. Either that or sit tight until they have the 6.7s right...

Old 09-08-2008, 07:56 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Given all you said, i believe you answered your own questions...the 1500 hemi best suits your purpose based on what you said. Im sure your still gonna think about it all but in my opinion the hemi is best in your case. Good luck working it all out ans keep us in the loop in what ya do!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

1 thing to add is the CTD is NOT covered under the lifetime warrenty.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 PM
05HemiRam1986

CTD if you can afford it, Nothing against the hemi but if I was to do it again and had the extra money I would have a CTD under the hood, Outwork anything, and all ya have to do is make a simple call to banks if you want to play IMO

Quick Reply: Deciding between 1500 Hemi or 2500 CTD?