3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi to 12 valve Cummins swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:24 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your only hope of pulling it off is to have a complete donor truck to pull everything from. When I say it's complex, I don't mean "wow, all those wires scare me." I mean "I've been wiring for almost 20 years and I can tell you these trucks are far more complex than just a few signal wires that need to be matched up." There's nobody chiming in with instructions because nobody's done it.

If you were building a drag truck or something, sure, it'd be much easier. To want it in a daily driver with stock-like operation -- there's your challenge. I'm not giving you reasons not to do it - I'm telling you why you won't be able to do it without a donor truck, a lot of time, and a ton of cash.

If you traded on an 03-04 CTD, even if you got only $10k for your truck, you could be done for $10k difference. That's less than it'll take for your project and it'd be 100% reliable and there would be no downtime.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Splashman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I understand the complexity of the fuel management, ignition, throttle, transmission and all that. However all of this will be removed from the vehicle. All that is left is the starter, ABS, airbags, and lighting. It would be more then easy to put a simple instrment cluster in it.

Also why a doner truck? What do you need to make a 12 valve run? Fuel, and a starter? Not exactly the most complex engine. No real wiring to one.... it's a diesel.

So all I need to do is make sure I can keep the lighting and safety systems working. Then make sure the starter still cranks.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:13 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the diesel still computer controlled, electronic injection and uses computer controlled ignition? If so, you need the ecm controls along with sensors, etc.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

Will not meet emmisions smog etc the truck says its gas on the title but you will a diesel motor, wont work diesels are not emmision friendly unless its a 08 09.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Splashman
Rookie

Originally Posted by kenihemi
Isn't the diesel still computer controlled, electronic injection and uses computer controlled ignition? If so, you need the ecm controls along with sensors, etc.
no, 12 valve 6 BT is mechanical fuel pump.... diesels do not have ignition. Fuel is ignited by compression.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Splashman
Rookie

Originally Posted by TANKZ400
Will not meet emmisions smog etc the truck says its gas on the title but you will a diesel motor, wont work diesels are not emmision friendly unless its a 08 09.
yes but in Pennsylvania you can have a modified vehicle retitled. It's a bit of paperwork but doesn't seem to be too expensive. It would be classified as a "modified vehicle" same as a "hot rod" "reconstruction" "salvage" or any other kind of modified title.

I'm going to call the DMV tomorrow about the details.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:49 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just sit on it for another year and buy the 2010 1500 5.0L diesel.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:49 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting a little bit of a diesel lesson, I love it.

So what meters the fuel per throttle position?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:53 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by kenihemi
I'm getting a little bit of a diesel lesson, I love it.

So what meters the fuel per throttle position?
the fuel control rack, which turns scrolls in the injectors. it increases/decreases the effective stroke of the injector.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:55 PM
frtyate

Well it doesn't sounds like you want to be told not to do it. So I say do it and let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Hemi to 12 valve Cummins swap