3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torsion crank/Alignment question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:14 AM
RAM_05
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion crank/Alignment question...

First off, I know that normally when you mess with the suspension you should do an alignment. Now I want to crank the torsion keys, but not sure if I will like it. Will it do any damage if I drive for a week or so without an alignment? If the ride gets too harsh then I will just put it back to stock and get an alignment if it is still needed.

Basically I just don't want to get an alignment and not like the ride, then drop it back to stock and have to get another alignment.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think it would do any damage and for only a few days would probably no put any undue wear on the tires or front end. But, the ride quality would not be like it would if it was properly aligned. Meaning, you may think you hate the feel of the ride with the t-bars cranked but it may have smoothed right out if it was properly aligned.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:52 PM
RAM_05
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I don't think it would do any damage and for only a few days would probably no put any undue wear on the tires or front end. But, the ride quality would not be like it would if it was properly aligned. Meaning, you may think you hate the feel of the ride with the t-bars cranked but it may have smoothed right out if it was properly aligned.
I don't think I'll mind the ride at all, but just wanted to make sure the tires won't begin to wear uneven after a few days. I would only put about 150 miles on the truck over the course of a week so not too much driving.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:02 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

sorry but what does that do? cranking the torsion keys? is that what they are selling on ebay calling it a leveling kit for 02-05 4x4s?

Old 09-15-2008, 03:07 PM
RAM_05
Rookie

In short if you crank your torsion bolts, you in turn are raising the front of your truck. Instead of spending money on a leveling kit, you sacrifice some ride comfort for basically the same lift. From what I have read you can get anywhere from 1-3 inches of lift to level out your suspension. If you prefer to keep the same smoothness in your truck you have now, then get the leveling kit. If you would prefer to save a couple hundred bucks then crank the bolts. I'm sure I am missing something so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:18 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

holy crap why havent i heard of this earlier? As soon as my back stops hurting im getting under my truck

Old 09-15-2008, 03:49 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

the ride will get harsher with the keys as well, jsut not as bad as without keys.

you need to have a torsion bar front end to be able to crank the torsion bar bolts. I think that was only for a couple years they had that before going to spring front ends, 04-05 i think.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:05 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

05 qc 4x4 baby! so is there a diy thread on this? You need special tools?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
05HemiRam1986

Well I would definately spray some penetrating oil on those bolts, not that there going to be seized or anything just makes things easier... Mine were easy to do, gave them a quick shot of oil and jacked it up, sits real nice now... rides a bit harsher but its a truck.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

do you jack up the body or the suspension? How much did you tighten them and how much of a lift did your front get?

Quick Reply: Torsion crank/Alignment question...