3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My '07 Ram was almost stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
sos
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, if you look at the pictures, the fine red wire around the ignition is the coil that produces the field that "activates" the chip in your key. It works in the same way as a proximity ID card you might use at work does. The coil is the reader, and it causes an electrical field to be created which activates the chip in your key. This allows the truck to read your chip and make sure it is the real key. It appears that the thieves damaged the coil, so when your truck starts, it can't read the chip, and activates the anti-theft system and shuts the truck off. The same thing would happen if you went to Walmart and got a regular key made - the truck would start, but would die after a few seconds.

In the end, I agree with everyone else here. I would not try to do anything to your truck. If you do, you risk the insurance company saying that you caused more damage and might not pay to have the whole thing fixed. Just call the insurance company and let the whole thing work out. I've been without a vehicle before, and I know it sucks. After the first accident I was in and didn't have rental car coverage, I added it so next time I would. You might want to think about that too... Good luck.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:22 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Id assume your ins co covers you for a loaner ride...every time ive had a claim and was without my ride, ins coughed up and supplied me with one. Good luck man and let us know how it works out.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

So I take it only the grey keys have the transponder chip. Do us black key guys have any kind of starter kill...even an old school resistor setup?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BCGray
The antenna is not in the steering column, that is what the thief's think, and disabling the antenna, shuts down the truck.

Sorry, but this is not true.. The Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM) (also known as the Wireless Control Module/WCM) is located on the right side of the steering column near the ignition lock cylinder housing and an integral molded plastic antenna ring circles the ignition lock cylinder like a halo. The SKREEM and its antenna are concealed beneath the steering column shrouds. Two SKREEM modules are available: one for vehicles equipped with Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) only, and one for vehicles equipped with RKE and SKIS.

You have to get this replaced before the truck will start and continue running. The poster who said the red wires are the antenna is correct. If you continue to try to get the truck to crank, it will go into theft mode. When this happens, you will have no choice but to have it towed to a dealer. As it is now, you are going to have the dealer repair it. You could put the part on yourself, but the dealer has to program the "SKIM" code into the module before it will run again...Call me if you have questions, I have done this repair many, many times...See the pic. the module needing replacement is #1 in the pic...

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
So I take it only the grey keys have the transponder chip. Do us black key guys have any kind of starter kill...even an old school resistor setup?
Only factory gray keys have the transponder...

Attached Thumbnails My '07 Ram was almost stolen!-skreem.jpg  
Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Parts/Service

Only factory gray keys have the transponder...
What's all involved with installing the factory WCM and buying a couple grey keys? Or what's the typical charge at your dealership parts and labor?

Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
What's all involved with installing the factory WCM and buying a couple grey keys? Or what's the typical charge at your dealership parts and labor?
I will have to get to work tomorrow to get you a proper quote, The software I use at home to look up parts does not contain this accessory...

Or call me if you want and I can give you a quote... If you wanna call, Ask for DAVID @ 1-800-663-2522

Quick Reply: My '07 Ram was almost stolen!